1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED Help Beretta 682 top barrel light strikes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi all, having intermittent light strikes on the top barrel of my 682 Beretta...gun is near new even though its a GoldX..(pre Gold E) so imagine its probably a 97 -98 model or maybe a little older..my first thought is maybe a weak hammer spring that the previous owner may have left it cocked for years in the case..its spotless inside and out with no wear so doubt its a dirt issue,..any ideas? What other parts to check?..am I on the right track and what else might I look for?? Thanks for any help you can throw my way...at first I was convinced it was hard primers or possibly primer depth but it frequent enough and happened on a few different brands of ammo to make me suspect the gun and I need to make this thing totally reliable or its not worth keeping

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Smetimes a weak or broken firing pin spring will cause this.

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

Cock the gun and pull off the forearm and bbls. Push the cocking rods in the bottom of the receiver in. They should have a light spring resistance. If either of them is loose, then you have either a stuck cocking lever plunger or broken cocking lever plunger spring.

You could also have crud in the firing pin ways.

Could be broken or weak hammer springs or a missing spring retainer.

4. CalvinMD

Thanks guys...I took the stock off..no dirt and bone dry with what looked like a very minute varnishy residue around the firing pins...cleaned it out with Qtips and alcohol and used very light app of RemOil (the extra light stuff from an aerosol can sprayed into a cup so I could just apply where needed with a toothpick,..checked firing pin return springs,..they were perfect ..pins able to extend fully and retract with plenty of strength...Firing pin tips perfect and undamaged,..also just touched hammer spring guide rods with a drop and the hammer axle pins too...using a snap cap to do a dry fire test it sounds much crisper on both but the top pins strike still doesnt sound quite as forceful as the bottom barrel but it may just might be me...will test it out next week on the range but will probably order a hammer spring kit...dont look hard to replace but will surely ask y'all to outline how to do it without damaging anything...am too far from any real gunsmiths

5. CalvinMD

Thanks guys! think I got it!...I went back and checked what Skeez wrote and found something hanging the cocking rod lever plunger inside..got it freed up and that got the cocking lever out of the way as the hammer was hitting it and had to move it out of the way to go forward..Thanks for the help and I learned a bunch inside there too...1st time I ever needed to have a stock off for more than just a check out

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Can you see all that going on by just removing the stock. Hard primers are a bit of a problem these days and guns with light strikes sometimes fail to fire one barrel because of the primers, after working well with light strikes for years.

7. CalvinMD

It actually was easy to spot after studying a schematic to ID what parts were where...I took the stock off and with the barrel and forend on I slowly watched what was happening as I broke it open to cock the hammers...the cocking lever for the top barrel has a spring loaded plunger that when pushed in stuck when attempting to push the lever back after cocking...so instead of the hammer hitting the firing pin first it was hitting the cocking lever slowing it down.......with a tooth pick I could manually push the plunger in..on the bottom it would push right out on its own ..on the top hammer..the plunger would stick in its bore and firing would shock it to pop out freeing it from what it was sticking on....I got it freed up and cleaned the debris causing it to stick when depressed...I will go out and do a test fire of a couple boxes when the weather warms...low 20's tomorrow and Thursday so testing it can wait!!!

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

There is a detailed description of getting to the cocking rods and levers here:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=278811

You can check the cocking plungers and levers without pulling the stock though. Cock the gun and remove the forearm and bbls. The cocking rods should be all the way forward and lightly spring loaded. If either of them is loose and not spring loaded, then you have a stuck plunger. IF the plunger is stuck then the cocking lever is flopping about loose in there and may interfere with the hammer. If it does, you will get a light strike or a complete FTF.

9. CalvinMD

Thanks again Skeez,..your info was a terrific help...I may still get a new pair of hammer springs as a precaution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

682 gold e light primer strikes

682 gold e light primer strikes bottom barrel

682 gold e light strikes