1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help......AVG Anti-Virus Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

We used to have Norton Anti-Virus. We changed to AVG because many of you shooters talked about how great it was and how bad Norton was. We have been clean with AVG but can't get used to the three to five hour DAILY scan. When I get on the computer during the scan I know it is going to work really slow.

When we had Norton it scanned once a week for about an hour or so and also did daily updates. Never any problems with viruses.

Is the daily and such a lengthy scan necessary with AVG? I notice there is an auto scan and a fast scan. What would be the differences? Any advice? If so, plain language, please.

Thanks for your help,

Booger

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If AVG is taking 3 to 5 hours....you either have a very slow computer ... or ... your puter is loaded with a ton of cookies and temporary files. Possibly both.

In your browser, click on TOOLS then OPTIONS and under the General tab under Temporary Internet Files, click on Delete Files and when that is finished, click on Delete Cookies.

If it is still slow...you have a slow puter and best to change the Scan Schedule to a time that you normally won;t be using it.

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Both my wife and I have AVG 8.0 installed on our computers, and a full scan (in fast mode) takes about 1 1/2 hours. Maybe you haven't configured it correctly? Follow Ahab's direction as well......you DON"T need all the crap that gets stored from browsing. HTH!

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Booger, check yer PMs. Hap

5. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I do the full scan, slow mode, nightly, as the last thing. I use the slow mode because it may pick up something the other modes miss.

In the additional terms of the scan I check the box to turn the computer off when the scan is finished. Then close the top of the portable.

I have the AVG 8 version...free.

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Change the scan schedule to run at midnight and leave your machine running at night. Why watch paint dry?

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Thanks for your help. One more question - I turn off my computer at night. Is it better to let it run or turn it off?

Booger

8. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I am trying AVG out for 30 days and so far it is the best I have ever used.

9. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

30 days meaning you got the trial version? If so, you can get the free version at http://free.grisoft.com. It's free for home use.

The argument about leaving a machine on versus turning it off goes back to the first PC's, and you can argue it to death. Today most folks leave their machines running overnight so Microsoft can install updates and AVG can update and scan. Because MS updates sometimes reboot your machine, don't leave programs open when you finish for the day.

Now, if only I could figure out what shot size, choke and lens color to use tomorrow...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.