1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help,,,air travel with Shotgun....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

My son is traveling from Baltimore to Colorado Springs at the end of this month and I need help in finding a case that will work for airline travel. The only thing I can find on the Airlines site is that the case needs to be "Hard" and lockable.

I have a hard plastic Plano everyday case with holes for small locks....do you think that will work?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

No. Your talking americase/pelican/tuffpak level. Probably a good rule of thumb is that if you didn't spend over $150 for the case, its not going to survive the trip.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. I made 18 trips to Phoenix with a Doskocil Gun Guard (paid around 50 bucks)and though the case is worse for wear now it did its job admirably.

I have an SKB case now because I liked the rollers.

HM

4. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Check out Starlight Cases - they are the best I have used.
    http://www.starlightcases.com/

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cabela's has a fair selection of hard side gun cases specifically designed for airline transport. Not cheap but they do hold up. I have one that holds two broken down long guns and have traveled with it to SD, NE, ND, and Alaska with zero damage to the guns inside and only minor scuffing to the exterior finish of the case.

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Pelican cases are the only way to go for any type of travel. They save the gun from getting banged around in the vehicle too.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If the case doesn't have encapsulated foam surrounding the firearm or velcro-type tie-downs to secure the firearm, its going to move within the case. The case appears lockable, so from that perspective it will work...

Do this... put your gun in the case, lock it and throw it across a room. If possible, when it lands, have it bang or bounce off a wall... now after you've changed your shorts, open the case and examine the gun...

If you don't have the stones to do that with your existing case - you've answered your own question.

BTW... my Superposed and SBTs have had worse with my Pelican Case and did just fine.

Respectfully,

Jay Spitz

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Here's my Pelican.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. coughsneezy

coughsneezy TS Member

roger8919,

I flew to California about a month ago from Syracuse, NY to Long Beach, CA through JFK with a Browning Bruiser 54" Double Gun Case that I bought from Cheaper than Dirt.com (the url to the case is listed above). Had two Citori's in the case along with choke tubes and accessories. The case had 3 lock points which a good set of Master Locks fit and wheels which made rolling through the airport a breeze. Case has high density form (guns didn't move a inch during the whole trip) and the plastic is really dense and can take a lot of abuse - no noticeable damage/scuffs/dents/etc when I picked up the case from the baggage claim area. The only thing I would say is get a liquid-white marker from a craft store to write your name/details on the case in addition to putting on a info tag at the airline counter.

Safe travels to your son.

Best

Jan

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Here's another vote for the Pelican. I've used a Doskocil as well, but they're not as good as the Pelican. Starlight are also top of the line cases, but the Pelican is exactly the same for about $50 less.

You can find a Pelican 1720 for around $180.

I work around maintenance guys that beat the crap out of Pelican cases every day. If you really want to protect something, Pelican is the way to go. I wouldn't hesitate to put my Ljutic in my Pelican case, and throw it off the stairs. Yep, they're that tough.

11. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

I've traveled a bit using an SKB case and it held up well. I do recommend, after they check the gun and make sure you have no live ammo, lock it and wrap duck tape around the width of the case where the locks are. Just a bit of extra insurance.

Bob M.

12. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

My vote is for the Starlight cases...beautifully made and extremely durable.

bluedsteel

13. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Roger8918.

I agree with Rich219 Pelican cases are the best, below is photo of closed case with stainless steel name address and contact plate.
    Photo of my Krieghoff and my wifes Perazzi, have travelled all over the world with not so much as a scratch.

You get what you pay for.

Regards..................Release Trigger.
    src='/uploads/releasetrigger_2008_03032.jpg'>

releasetrigger_2008_03031.jpg

releasetrigger_2008_0303.jpg

releasetrigger_2008_03032.jpg

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

The airline will sell you a $12.95 case at the airport for $45.00
    All the cases mentioned are fine, I've got 6 Americases myself and have flown with each of them, never a problem. I got the idea that you were questioning legality, rather than protection.

15. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

After working for an airline for 38 yrs I can tell you that if its packed right in a good case an you ask the ticket agent for it to be the "last on/first off they will take care of it and it WILL make it ok.....Chuck in Chicago

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Chuck...

how does that work... LOFO... ?!

Jay

17. bill4807

bill4807 Member

I flew out of Baltimore (Delta Airlines) on April 12th with my Rem 870 in a Gun Guard case and a padlock on the handles. Ammo was packed separately in checked baggage.

Delta agent had to see the shotgun and I had to sign a ~3x5 card certifying that the firearm was unloaded. "I declare, as required by Federal Air Regulation 1544.203, that the firearm(s) being checked as baggage is/are unloaded and packed in a hard-sided locked container." The card was then placed in the case and the case locked (padlocked).

The Delta agent then asked me to stand-by as the case was transferred to a TSA officer who did some kind of wipe-down, while wearing gloves, and then ran the gloves through some kind of electrical inspection device (explosive sniffer?). Picked up the shotgun in Rapid City, via Minneapolis, and went turkey hunting. The process was exactly the same as I left Rapid City.

The gun case was delivered by a baggage handler upon my return to Baltimore, he asked for some positive ID before turning the case over to me; my driver's license worked.arrival

Really not much more difficult than traveling with your golf clubs.

Enjoy your trip!

18. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

I was a Crew Chief on the ramp We had to load all fire arms last on and first off. I would get the name of the passenger , I would then go upstairs tell the Flt Attendent to tell the passenger it was on board and safe. IF YOU the guy traveling with a gun are NOT smart enough to take the little extra time in making sure that you have your stuff together ....OH WELL !!! I would to meet owners in baggage claim and hand them their cases. The smile on their face are really priceless...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.