1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help about a BT-99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by major146, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. major146

major146 Member

Need help about a BT-99???????????????????

I need a little advice on the Browning BT-99. I am new to trap (3 months) but have been shooting skeet for many years and usually shoot in the low 20’s. I am interested in getting a BT-99. I presently have a Remington 11-87 with a 29 ½ inch barrel using a modified choke. I have not been doing very well with it. A very friendly man I met at the range gave me a chance to try out his BT-99 with an adjustable comb and I doubled my usual score. So I think that this may help me do better at Trap. All I could find around here is one with a 34 inch barrel. Is this barrel too long for 16 yards? Also is the choke on these guns fixed or can you screw in different ones? I wish I could find the guy that let me try out this gun but I had never met him before and I don’t know when or if I will see him again.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Terry

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Terry..... The BT99 with 34" barrels is the one that is most desired by trapshooters. It will work very well from anywhere on the pad if it is choked properly. Some BT's come with choke tubes, and some are fixed choke. Either way, the BT99 is a true trap gun and will serve you well for both singles and handicap...... Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Hi, welcome to trap shooting. I do not own a BT-99, but as I listen to other shooters it is the best gun for the money for a single barrel trap gun. 32" or 34" barrel is up to you, most shooters like the 34". Honestly, I do not know about chokes and finally, there should be more than one shooter in your club who own a BT-99. Good luck with any gun you decide to buy, Peter.

4. 3357

3357 Member

Welcome to trapshooting. The BT-99 is a great trap gun to start with and one you can stay with for a very long time. One of the reasons you shot the BT-99 so well might be that it fit you. Gun fit is very important in trapshooting. The gun you borrowed may have shot its pattern a little higher than your 11-87. This makes hitting a rising (trap) target a little easier for most shooters. The BT-99 comes with a 32" or 34" barrel. At this point in your career either barrel length will work just fine, most shooters prefer the 34" barrell. Either barrel is great for 16yard targets. Older (used) BT-99s have fixed chokes, more recent production and all new guns today have screw-in chokes. I shot one for a very long time and was very happy with it (and I still own it) Jess

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

At this point try as many guns as you can. I did just that. I shot for a year with my 870 exspress. Then tried out/researched all types of guns for trap. I tried every gun that someone would let me. You will find a pattern or type of gun that just seems to suite you. For me it was the citori's. They all seem to come up to my eye nice and settle right in. I ended up with a Citori XT ultra. I shot alot of guns. I like to shoot doubles so the Citori XT was my final choice. For me being lefty I had a tough time with some guns.

6. major146

major146 Member

Thanks for all the help. I think I will go ahead and buy that BT-99, anyone interested in a Remington 11-87 trap gun? 716 693-3239, Terry

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with the rest of the advice given. But, I'd keep the 1187 for a while - maybe for a long time. You never know when you might want to try some wobble trap, trap doubles, 5 stand, or sporting clays. The auto-chucker will be a good all-around gun for other games.....Bob Dodd

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Terry ... before you sell that 11/87 and run out and buy that BT-99 all I can say is that if you doubled your scores in one round by shooting a BT-99 instead of your 11/87 than it was far more than just the gun. You say you normally shoot skeet and I must ask you ... yeah this sounds really really stupid but ... what choke were you using in your 11/87 when shooting trap? Please dont tell us you were using a skeet or such choke for trap ... even if you were please lie and tell us you weren't.

BTW ... give a few details of your 11/87 if your serious about selling it ... like where are you from and such and the details of the gun.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

You are correct ... he does say modified.

But to basically double your score with a BT-99 from an 11-87 in just 25 targets tells me that it is far more than the gun. If shoots skeet in the low 20's he should also easily be shooting trap in also the low 20's and ya cant double that score in just 25 targets. There is something far more that needs correction than just getting a BT-99. BTW ... did Remington actually make an 11-87 with a high comb trap stock? I have seen 1100's with the high comb but for the life of me I dont think I have ever seen a factory stocked 11-87 with a high trap comb on it.

Terry ... chances are depending on exactly where your holding on the bird when you shoot you might just need to change that and your on with the 11/87 or if you have a bunch of extra spare disposable cash and just want to spend it forget about it all and get yourself a new BT-99 with adjustable comb today.

BTW ... there are those who will not get Brownings adjustable comb but instead get an aftermarket one installed. I do know I have heard of more than a few who have complained about Brownings adjustable comb so ... you might want to steer away from getting Brownings comb.

10. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Major, I have a Bt-99, and I added an after market comb and adjustable recoil pad. I was an older model (1986) w/a 34 in. barrel, it is perfect. But,,like a lot of us, I was not satified, and HAD to have a new gun. It was the Brownie
    Xt un-single combo. It had a factory adjustable comb, and it would not stay adjusted,,,I used washers to hold it in place, now it seems OK. So, I guess what I am saying is that there is a lot of really good used BT-99's out there w/removable chokes, for $800.-$1000. You can shot one for a life time and not wear it out (they wear in, not out.)
    Norman

11. major146

major146 Member

Lumper

I am in the Western New York area. I have see a few more examples of the BT-99 used and am zeroing in on a couple. The 11-87 I have now is a premier Trap model with the Monty Carlo stock.

Aside from the fact that I did well with the BT-99 I like the way it feels and looks. Another important factor is at play here and that is that my wife said it was OK to buy a new gun for Christmas. I don’t know about you but I gota jump on this before she changes her mind.

On the serious side the man that loaned me the BT-99 also gave me some badly needed instructions. But I think that my 11-87 shoots flat and I have to cover the bird with the barrel to get a hit. This makes it hard to see the bird and I have a tendency to stop the gun. I think that with the right adjustments to the BT-99 I would be able to aim just under the bird and pick it off better. I also noticed that the BT-99 seamed to be lighter and I was able to move the gun faster to acquire the target sooner. Thanks for all the help, now I am looking for a good used BT-99.
    Terry

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

If that single time was a much needed lessons I would suggest you find a coach and get some more as well.

13. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have a BT-99 New one with the choke tubes. I bought it with the adjustable comb but it was a bit short for me out of the box.Smac ked my cheek up a bit. I had Mark Deprez put the Graco stock recoil thingy on to lengthen it and broke a 98 then a 99 with it great gun shot just exactly where I pointed it. I went out and got an XT Trap because I wanted to try doubles and just wasn't fast enough to get that second shell in there in time. It worked very well for me and I still have it for a backup.

Martin Milano

14. major146

major146 Member

Lumper

I have been wanting to get a coach but don’t know of any in this area. Perhaps when the league starts this January I will be able to ask some of the more experience shooters where to find one.

Terry

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ask at your local club. Ask about upcoming spring clinics. Ask and ye shall find ... and I would not really purchase anything until you have a chance to work with a coach and such a little bit. Ya never know your current gun might be ... well forget about your current gun ... take advantage of your wifes xmas idea and get a new gun.

BTW ... if found at the right time and right deals are made you can get a basic brand new BT-99 for about $200 more than a used one. Check Gander Mountain if you have one close, most still have there exclusive black parkerized and laminated stocked BT-99 for about $1100 new for either a 32" or a 34" gun.

16. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Major146.... Hurry, buy that BT-99 before she changes her mind. You won't be sorry.............Roger

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

BT-99; nice gun, I had one, couldn't hit a thing with it until I slowed down the wippy barrel with a bit of weight and had a trigger job done to her..

18. Billster

Billster TS Member

In August I returned to trap after 35 years away from it. Bought a new BT-99 32" with adj. comb and had Gracoil LP installed. Bought set of Briley extended chokes and just put a Hi-Viz on it. GREAT GUN! Just blew the 6000th round thru it this week. Not a hiccup and performs better than I can. Two days ago picked up her BT-99 Micro 30" from the stockfitter and tomorrow she Christens it at the patterning board then the trap. Seems like every third gun at Winter League is a BT. Be confident in the gun. It's simple and works.

cheers
    Bill

19. R. Hausburg

R. Hausburg TS Member

Terry, where in Western NY, you sound like somebody I may know, as I'm formally from the area also. Now down in New Bern NC.
    bust'm all, Ray Hausburg

20. major146

major146 Member

Ray
    I am from North Tonawanda. I use to shoot at the 3F club but now I shoot at Grand Island.
    Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.