1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help-4Wheel Drive Will Not Engage!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

My 01 Ford Ranger will not go into 4WD mode.It's a shift on the fly(turn the knob)but when I do nothing happens.The indicator light on the dash does not go on and of course no 4WD either.I checked the fuses,they are o.k.I then replaced the motor that engages and still nothing.Can it be an electrical problem? Is it simply the switch? I was thinking of removing the new motor connection and placing an ohm meter to see if there is power even going to the motor.Is this common or has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for the advice. Dennis.

2. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Before you spend any more money, make sure you are getting power to the motor. If you have no power there, check back up the line............Roger

3. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

get a chevy or toyota.sorry couldn't resist.jackmitch
    merry christmas

4. mt6

mt6 TS Member

check the 4x4 modulator behine the seat, a litle box about 4x6. you will need a computer to read it. Wayne

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thanks to everyone that responded.I will try all of your advice.Dennis.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have done so many of the motors its almost automatic to replace,,,,,but. I have had to repair many motor plugs. They get very nasty under the weather pack. check the 2 large orange and black wires for good power and ground. The next thing is the control unit. Also find poor conections or broken wires under the carpet where it comes thru. I have not seen to many bad switches. If you can ohm out switch to eliminate that and check for power. I have found these control units all over the vehicle, right passenger kick pannel, behind drivers seat, under the seat. ect ect.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Old technology - gotta love it!

8. Honda22

Honda22 TS Member

Need to get a JEEP all you problems will go away, plus you will have a vehicle that will go anywhere you need to go. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah Brian, I kinda like that old technology. What year is that old red Chevy, 71? Get your neighbor to move that white POS out of the way so you can get a clean, clear photo of the Chevy, and post it here.

Bisi

10. g36

g36 Member

I took mine to a place and they wanted to charge me $300 for parts without even looking at it and after a little research online I fixed it myself for $2.50 it turned out to be a vacuum hose...

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I thought shift on the fly was controlled by vacuum? The dash switch controlls the vac. motor. Check for unconnected vacuum lines. Just mt .02.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

12. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Hi JB. Where would the vac.hose be located?Thanks,Dennis

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Dennis- Your best bet would be to talk to a mechanic or get online and search. Get onto the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum. They have some truck mechanic guru's who will get you into the correct ballpark. That is where I read that shift on the fly was vacuum activated. Good luck,.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.