1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help 23 yard trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff K, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

Help ,I have been shooting a winter trap league for the first time. My 16 yard scores are 22-23 but when we move back to the 23 yard line my scores drop to 17-20. For 16 yard I shot what looks like 12 inch. under the bird and get good breaks I don't shot really fast just average Bird still rising. Where should I shot from 23 hold tighter to bird or more space ? Also do angle shots require more or less lead ?

Thanks Jeff

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

If you can't get to a clinic, I highly recommend either Harlan Campbell's or Phil Kiner's DVDs.

3. jbshep

jbshep Member

QUIT TRYING TO CALCULATE "LEAD" AND "RISE" WHILE YOU ARE SHOOTING. Remember: Concentrate, don't calculate. Focus on the bird! Shoot a little quicker, otherwise just like 16's. Phil Kiner's newest video should help.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Make certain that as you approach the bird, your gun barrel does not slow down because you are trying to shoot with great precision. Try being a little more aggressive and get almost to the point of recklessness. If you try to shoot very carefully, you are doomed. Also, for me, holding a little lower gun helps the further back I shoot.

Also, don't get too concerned about the Winter League targets. Winter targets are a different game than Summer targets. I do not shoot anymore in the Winter. When I did, it took most of April/May to get over the bad habits I acquired in Jan/Feb. If you compare the April/May scores to the July/August scores of many shooters, you will see a difference.

Pat Ireland

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Here's the answer you seed, though the other advice here is good:

At the 23 you should shoot the feet off the bird rather than 12 inches under it.

The reason is the bird has a little more time to rise while the shot travels the extra distance, so a higher shot placement breaks the bird.

HM

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

Well lets go round two. When I did POA at 13 yd. it was centered and center of pattern 2 inches high. Shoting of a rest multiple shots full choke. Knowing that is there a posibilty I'm under the 23 yd birds? Again I don't shot real fast but difently before the are cresting. I have a K80 trap barrel adjustible rib at front only and adj.comb. Am heading over to the club and will have them lock It staight and see if I can get this figured out. Start on the 16 and work my way back slowly.

Thanks so much for everyone's input and I will try your sugestions
    I you have any more/new ideas i'm all ears.

Thanks Jeff

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Mrk; You missed he is shooting in a league which probably doesn't allow him to move up.

Jeff; Put it on paper. Then experiment until you break a bird then repeat what you just did and keep repeating it as long as it works. If it doesn't start over. See if you can lock the trap which will give tha same sight picture. Once you get that picture in your brain it should repeat repetitively. To give you accurate advice from afar is almost impossible. Keep your melon on the wood or nothing will work, sounds like you might like to peek. It will work out and it is alright to float a 16 yd target if it works for you.

Don

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Welcome to the WALL. Most shooters hit the wall at 24 yards. Hang in there, it will come around.

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

If you are really shooting 12" under the target at 16's I would suggest you do the same at 23. Once you find the sight picture that works for you at 23 you just refine it to get smoke.

I just touch the bird at 16's but to break 23's I must hold a little under the bird. I have no more comb left to drop and my rib is all the way up.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- You just gave us some more important information. You stated you shot a "K-80 with an adjustable rib at the front only".

The K-80 is different from other guns. The rib is not actually adjustable. Turning the screws at the front of the rib actually bends the barrel and the rib remains in place. You can easily and accurately adjust the POI without changing the comb or sight picture. The K-80 system is, in my opinion, superior to other guns. With the K-80 you can change the POI between posts and you should be able to figure out something.

Pat Ireland

11. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Jeff K

I suggest you attend a shooting clinic. Leo and Kay are both good but very different in approach. Phil Kiner is very goo too and he video taped you shooting and showed you the shot string then told you what to do to correct your error. I'm not sure if he is still doing his clinics. If you can't get to a clinic thent he next best thing would be one of their video tapes...all good.

Gavin

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

Pat,Gavin,Mrk,NJ and every else who gave such good advice. Went to the club and shot three rounds and did very well.Some off the best advice was to shoot fast and that helped It appears that during league nights I try to hard and therefore ride the bird trying to make the perfect shot. Will work on being more aggressive next time. Second more of my better breaks were when I crowded the bird so It probably shoots closer to 6inch high not 12 as MrkSCL had suggested Third I think I was a little behind left and rights. Last we shoot under the lights in all weather and my 55 year old eyes just do not see as well at night. Should do much better in summer daylight and no coat. Last but not least it's not the gun but the operator.

Thanks again for great responses

Jeff

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- You gave another clue to your problem in your last post. If shooting a little faster (=aggressive) helped, that suggests you were slowing down your gun movement as you approached the bird. This will cause you to shoot under and behind the birds. It is difficult to slow down a gun that is moving quickly.

My personal preference is not to intentionally try to shoot faster, but rather to shoot with an aggressive attitude, see the bird clearly and just let the gun shoot when it is ready. This will result in you shooting faster. Have fun while working out this problem. The work could easily require a couple thousand registered targets. Learning is expensive.

Pat Ireland

14. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

That reminds me I havent finished Lenny Basham's book, thank you !!!!

15. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

24str8:

I actually have yet to shoot from the 20 yard line. At any ATA event I've had to shoot at the penalty 23 yard line. I need 1000 targets from handycap yardage from the 23 to move back down to the 20 I think.

I also think that Jeff is very lucky to be able to shoot from the 23 as anyplace that I have ever got to practice handycaps everyone was on the 27. The only time I shoot from the 23.0 is on the line at an ATA subevent.

0300 9/14/2007 New York State Ata 200 185 23.0 100 82
    0300 9/15/2007 New York State Ata 200 197
    0300 9/16/2007 New York State Ata 23.0 100 88 100 80
    1833 1/17/2008 Silver Dollar Shooting Club 23.0 100 73 100 55
    1833 1/18/2008 Silver Dollar Shooting Club 23.0 100 79 100 73
    1833 1/19/2008 Silver Dollar Shooting Club 200 172

The second numbers are my yardage you can see they are from the 23.0 yard line.

Martin 0765881

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

23 yard trap reload

23 yd trap

back sighting lead at 27 yards trap shooting

how much do trap scores drop at the 27 yard line

how much space do i need to trap shoot in yard

how to shoot trap at 23 yards

how to shoot trap from the 22 yard line

trap 27yd