1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Heartworm Pills for Lab

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pullbangloss, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I need to get some heartworm meds for my lab. Been trying to get into my vet but seems to be packed everytime I go. Any suggestions? Can this be bought over the counter? Internet?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Krizinski

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The doggy needs to have a blood test for heartworm before he is given the medication. If need be, make an appointment with another vet. Bill Malcolm

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Right!! Giving heartworm pills to a dog that already has the heartworm larva will probably kill the dog.

Carol Lister

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I asked my vet for a prescription so I could get the heartworm meds off the internet.

They said they'd match the internet price, so now I just buy from my vet.

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Here is where to get your Price Hard to beat ( or even a vet to match )

http://www.1800petmeds.com/

6. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Pills for the wife without a prescription might be o.k. but not for my dogs. Listen people they are trying to tell you something. It can KILL them. Oh, don't worry about my wife she is the only one who will put up with me. Ken

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Do you give your wife heart worm meds Hoot? I give mine booze, it keeps her stable

8. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Go to the vet, first! Most will match internet price, mine does on all products. Flea med, heartworm meds, even food and shampoo. Wish I could get their boarding price down. LOL

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Buy them from your vet. He/She deserves a profit and you need him/her.

10. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

Matt Krizinski

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Find a new vet or wait you turn, I do't understand the problem???

12. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I usually make an appointment before going to see the vet.

Am I missing something here? I don't think they would appreciate me just showing up.

Ed

13. ButchB

ButchB TS Member

Here is what we use for our hunting dogs, cost is considerably less with the same results

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The active ingredient is Ivermectin - also used to worm cattle and horses (humans too). It is a GABA agonist - by blocking this neurotransmitrer it paralyzes the worms so they cannot move. It essentially works on all parasitic worms.

A trip to TSC or an agricultural supply center can net a tube for about five dollars which will treat an animal up to 1500 pounds.

Do the math carefully and you can use this to dose your dog (I learned this from the vet who would treat my wife's horse, then turn around and give a tiny amount to the dogs on the farm to treat them too).

My dog is 35 pounds - that means a tube gives about 40 doses - something like ten cents a dose...

Remember, if you take this path, do the math carefully...

15. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A friend of mine raised champion Beagles and used the liquid wormer as hslds suggests. Worked fine and reasonable when your treating 30+ dogs.

Regards.....Gerald

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I buy mine from the feed store too. One little jar will do my 6 dogs for over a year. It costs from 30 to 40 dollars depending on brand.

17. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I too use (Ivomec) ivermectin formulated for large animals on my "pack" of dogs. Mainly for economic reasons. I give it orally with a diabetic syringe. You must first get a bloodtest from your vet for heartworms. When given a negative test result express to your vet about your desire to use ivermectin and request dosage recommendations. It cannot be used on shepherd breeds or any dog with unknown bloodlines. You can purchase Ivomec at Tractor Supply or Southern States. Kim

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Collies also have a tendency to croak on Ivermectin

The dosing is not as simple as it seems- there was a long article in gun dog magazine about this- apparently the Ivermectin in the horse stuff is a different strength than in dog wormer -- not just by mg but some other factor

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'm not a DVM nor do I play one on TV :) but I do know a thing or two about heart worms and dogs. The treatment for heart worms can be fatal if not directed by a Dr. If you value your dog, don't go walMart on this, that is to say, don't be cheap. Speak with a vet, get the blod work done and follow his/her prescribed course of treatment to the "T". The dog trusts you to care for it, don't let it down.

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If there has been no lapse in the administration of the medication, there should be no issue getting the real deal elsewhere. If there has been a lapse of treatment for even a few weeks, you should have the blood tests done. I treated my dogs for aq continuous 12 months without interruption. Some will only treat for around 9 months, thinking that the vulnerability would be for that period, depending on where you live. The Heartworm meds can also help prevent other worm infestations. In any event, if you like your dog, have the test done BEFORE administering any heartworm meds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.