1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Good Rabbit Recipe

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Trappy12, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Well I've just discovered that my local butcher carries rabbit, and I always love trying new things (especially game meats). So I'm home alone tonight and figured I'd cook up some rabbit! Looking for any good recipe preferably by backing, broiling, grilling, but not too into the stew. So what's out there?
    -Trappy

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I like to part it out , boil for 30 to 45 minutes, then coat with bbq sauce and grill on low heat or indirect. Can't beat it. Bill in mi

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

do it just like fried chicken, finish it in oven with a small amount of water covered. Make your gravy & enjoy. When I fry it I use a large covered skillet to sweat it a little. The only thing as good is Walleye

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Here's a variation you could try:

Ingredients

1 medium elephant

2 (50 gallon) containers broth

500 lbs assorted fresh vegetables, chopped

2 rabbits (optional)

Directions

1) Cut elephant into bite-size pieces.

2) This takes about 2 months.

3) Using large kettles, simmer equal parts elephant and vegetables with enough broth to cover.

4) Cook for a couple days.

5) If more are expected add the rabbits, but do this only if necessary.

6) Most people don't like to find hare in their stew.

Kiv

5. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Boo.......

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

thats worse than Obamas speech? LOL

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

When I was a kid in the Boy Scouts. We'd shoot a Rabbit, clean it, put chunks on sticks, sprinkle salt and pepper, then squrt lemon juice from those plastic lemons all over the Rabbit. Then cook them over an open campfire. Greatttttt...

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Cubancigar has it nailed. No better way to do it than that.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Best if made in a Pot Pie . Love it and even my wife does too . Find a Chicken Pot Pie recipe and substitute it with rabbit . I don`t hunt anymore but still crave that for dinner . Maybe I will look for some clean road kills ?????

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If it's a young domestic fryer rabbit, throw it in the skillet just like chicken, though you don't want to cook it as long. If it's a stewing rabbit then it will be too tough fried.

Robert

11. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

All but a very young wabbit will try you teeth and jaws.

Pan fry bald or flowered till really brown.

Place in slow cooker for 5-6 hours, it will fall off the bones. I use Onions and Celery plus some broth to taste.

Take care,

Jim

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Like all other game, just don't over cook it. And if you do, then stew it till it falls apart.
    You can cook it exactly like you would cook pheasant and it is great.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well its kind of complicated but it starts with you going out on a frigid January morning and tramping through the snow until you see a plump cottontail sitting under a bush and you put a .22 round through its eye. Next you bring said critter back to the ranch and skin it and wash the meat really well because grandma will make you wash it again if it isn't real clean. Which gets us to step three; give the cleaned rabbit to Grandma who will perform magic with the critter using a big cast iron fry pan and ordinary seasonings. (this part of the recipie cannot be duplicated). Then if you behave and don't ask annoying questions like 'when is dinner?' you will get some of the best eating possible - so good that you will remember it for life.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I am going over to Kim's house, to hell with the rest of your amateur's.

Don

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I didn't even know it was Rabbit Season!!! I thought it was Duck Season!!! LOL Break-em all. Jeff

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

i'll bet that it's not a game rabbit but a chicken raised rabbit. regardless, i say smoke it. good luck with it

17. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

I didn't even know it was Rabbit Season!!! I thought it was Duck Season!!! LOL Break-em all. Jeff

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/In6zCfJ-e8w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/In6zCfJ-e8w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks BigBruno, One of these days I will figure out just how to do that. Until then Thanks again. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.