1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need good 20 ga load please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Lots of data out there...of that, what is a nice 20 ga load?

Using STS and AA old style hulls. Have Unique, 473, green dot.

I hear Intl is nice. I usually load to 1150 fps Your experience please?

thanks!

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Rem STS, Rem 209, Rem RXP wad, 14 gr Hodgdon Universal, 7/8 oz. hard shot. Great load...low recoil. Universal powder is the key, its burning rate is close to Unique. Find a Unique load, use up your supply of Unique, then switch to Universal. For a really light 20 ga. load that is very effective for skeet practice or sporting, go to the 3/4 oz. loads in the Hodgdon book using International powder and Win 209 primers, but be sure to use WAA20 wads to get a good crimp...RXP wads may cause "dished" crimps. Best Regards, Ed

3. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

17.8 gr 473AA, or 13.5 gr Red Dot, or 13.7 gr 700X all with Win 209 primers and Win wads make nice 7/8 oz loads.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Make it simple. You have Unique. Good powder. You have AA & STS hulls. Good hulls.

Go to alliantpowder.com and pick a load with the velocity you want. Use a primer you have, and wad that is easy to get locally at a good price. They all work. Don't let the anal types make it hard claiming knowledge that their magic wad/primer combo makes any material difference.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

PerazziBigBore made a good point with the 473AA. If you can find data for it, you might want to burn off your stock of 473AA before switching to the Unique.

6. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Rem STS hull, 209 Win primer, orange duster wad and IMR 7625 right out of thge book. I've been using this load so long I can't remember the # of grains. Soft and fast enough....

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Winchester AA Hulls

WAA20 Wads

Winshester 209 Primer

15.5 grains of Hodgdon UNIVERSAL CLAYS

7/8 ounce of shot.

You can substitute a Remington RXP20 wad with this load and drop the powder charge down to 15 grains.

Both yield 1200 fps by the book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

substitute for rxp20 wads

using rxp20 in place of waa20