1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need glue recommendations!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by RobertT, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Dropped a stock I am refinishing and broke the wrist where it attaches to the receiver. Fortunately it is a clean lateral break and I believe with the right glue the fracture line will all but disappear. My quandry is what glue to use, seems too thick an application will show after finishing and too thin will not be strong enough. Any helpful recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Clutz, AKA. Robert

2. doublea

doublea Member

I would suggest a good 2-part 24 hour epoxy.Surgical tubing will make a good clamp. Adam

3. setool

setool Member

Call Whiz White... His preferred company is on his web site, Glenrorock Blue, I think.

He has STRONG ideas on how to do it, and he is a Master.

Mark Schneider

4. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

West system epoxy. Can be dyed with fillers. Google it. Stronger than the wood will ever be. I have used it for 25 plus years.
    Todd

5. RobertT

Thanks for all the input, now to find some surgical tubing (thanks Adam). Haven't settled on an adhesive yet but will let you know how it all works out. Gary, I generally do use a wedge but was trying to remove finish in that area, but an excellent recommendation for anyone.

Robert

6. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Robert - I do a lot of woodworking, and West System epoxy would be hard to beat. Check out their site, you will learn a lot about epoxy. http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

" too thin will not be strong enough" wrong. thinner is stronger. Squeeze it together as tight as possible. I don't know about West System epoxy. Acraglas is a very good product and can be colored to match. Don't use cheap hardware store exoxy and do not use fast cure epoxy.

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

I think acraglass probably is West Systems epoxy. Similar 4:1 mix ratio of resin and hardener. It just comes with convenient little mixing cups, dyes, and fiberglass reinforcing fibers for volume fills.

I have had good luck using System 3 epoxies as well. They make a 1:1 structural adhesive, and a 2:1 epoxy for glassing boats. Both work very well for high strength bonding of wood. A friend of mine makes high end furniture and uses the System 3 2:1 stuff for all his high strength applications.

West Systems or System 3 will pass boil tests and are stronger than the base wood.

If you can't find surgical tubing, electricians tape works well also, pull it tight - it's elastic and will help keep the joint tight. Epoxy does not need to be clamped hard like a white glue. It has gap filling properties and will do fine without clamping the crap out of it.

John

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

Acra-Glas and surgical tubing are both available from Brownell's.

10. RobertT

Thanks for all the input, will post the final results when the job is done.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.