1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need gear to stay warm....any suggestions???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I need boots and socks to stay warm. Also, I'm looking into the winter model of the "gun glove", everything else I have covered. 

As far as socks goes any special combinations of materials percentage wise that will work? I was at dicks and saw so many different socks but didn't know which one to go with. And boots too any help?

2. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

If you walk, you need very little insulation (200 to 400) but if you sit, you need much (1200 grams or better). I have Rocky boots, they are alright but I only use the 2000 grams for hunting and never wear them otherwise. Rocky's used to be made in Nelsonville, OH but no more. For socks, I like a synthetic liner with a wool sock. They are expensive but like trap guns, you get what you pay for. As for gloves, I use a leather or wool glove for trap shooting. For hunting I use US Marine Arctic issue mittens with the wool liners.

Enjoy the winter leagues and the hunting season!

3. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Need more information. Boot choice will depend on how cold it gets (snow, ice?), what are you doing in the boots (hunting or just shooting a couple of trap rounds, if working outside steel toe protection may be a good idea), length of activity (exposed all day or just a little while?).

The choice of sock depends on how much your foot prespiers (sp?) and the length of activity. Generally, wool or wool blend whisks away moisture but some of the woolen socks can run $50 or more per pair. So wool blend may be a reasonable consideration (look for higher wool content on the label). A little bit of lyrca (sp?) is good because it gives it flexibility. Stay away from the cheapo sock liners available at Walmart - your feet will keep slipping when you put pressure on them (e.g., when climbing or coming down a mountain).

Don't know much about gun gloves.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A young lady with ample resources that likes to hunt and drink brandy can be fine a asset to the hunting blind or lodge.

5. open choke

open choke TS Member

Jawari.....just shooting trap. I don't hunt. I did see some field and stream brand and wigwam that were 2 pairs for 20 at dicks. The were like 40 or 60% wool, plus some other stuff in them

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Become a snow bird. Spend the winter here in S. Florida.

Eric

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I really like the Under Armor glove liners for shooting. They will keep the cold winds from freezing your hands and they aren't so thick that they affect manipulating the firearm efficiently.

I don't know if you necessarily need boots to shoot in the snow, unless you plan on standing in a snow bank somewhere. A pair of Gore-Tex lined sneakers and wool socks should do the job.

8. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I use the cheap hand warmers and put them on the back of my hand under a light leather shooting or winter gulf gloves. You can also put one in your pocket and keep your hand in your pocket tell its your turn to shoot, if you want leave your trigger hand bare. John 8703697

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wool socks with fur lined Ugg boots. HMB

10. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

11. open choke

open choke TS Member

HMB....LOL

Rich....any brands & places to buy a cheap pair of gore-tex lined sneakers?

I knew they made fore-tex for any type of clothing and boots I had no clue about sneakers. That would be the route I'd like to go.

Also I tried the Under Armor liner gloves and the seam ripped after 4 hours of use. I don't know if they were too tight cause I wanted to not lose feel of the gun or if I got a dud pair.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

the socks aren't nearly as important as the boots. A gore-tex liner is a must with at least 400 gram of insulation. BUY THEM ROOMY!! the worst thing you can do is buy them the same size as your shoes and then cram some bulky socks in them. this will restrict your circulation and this means cold feet. Buy one full size bigger than your shoe size, your not doing a lot of walking in them, so no worries about blisters. Just use a good wool sock of the thickness of a tube sock. maybe 10-15 bucks a pair. Get a good pair of heavy gloves or mittens to wear when your waiting to shoot. Replace them with the thin wool ones with rubber dots when shooting. Get a big funny looking hat, the first key to staying warm is a good thick hat. We know how to stay warm here in northern mi. Bill Wheeler

13. AEP

AEP Member

HEAVY wool socks and Uggs, however, the Uggs will get wet in the rain. You might consider the battery operated socks. They do work in keeping your feet warm.

Andy

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Not from Mi. as slayer but N.E. IA. (gets cold in IA.too) just my personal experience as an ice fisherman--no shanty--deer hunter--etc. where I was not walking very much. DON'T put your boots & wool socks or other cold weather gear on until you get where you're going, if you put stuff on at home you're already sweating a little, then when you do step outside you have wet (damp) clothing touching your skin, guaranteed cold feet & other areas also. For me --I used just plain wool socks with just about any (again as per slayer) LOOSE waterproof if necessary boots, one piece insulated coveralls over long-johns, NO belt or tight pants etc. They kinda cut you in half & restrict circulation of air & blood. Put your necessities in coverall pockets when you change. Gloves???? sorry rarely wore gloves. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.