1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***Need FFL advice...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Sep 16, 2013.

1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

OK, here's the deal. I made a tentative deal to sell a trap gun. I'm in NE and the buyer is PA. I'm a C&R holder but not an FFL. It is my understanding that I must send the gun to a PA FFL, however the buyer tells me that his FFL will not send a copy of his FFL to an individual, only to a dealer. But he further says that it is OK for me to send the gun to said dealer.
    Now I don't want to do something wrong here, and it seems to me that I need a signed copy of that FFL before I can send it out of state.
    Am I correct? And have any of you ever heard of a FFL refusing to send a signed copy out to a non-dealer? (It does not sound like he is wanting to only deal with an FFL, only that he won't send a copy to a non-FFL. My position is "no Ticky, no laundry...)
    Your input is appreciated. I used to be an FFL and may have become ignorant on the regs, but this sounds very wrong...
    dju

2. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

dju, If I don't get an FFL copy from the buyers FFL I won't ship the gun. I am just trying to protect myself and my gun. It also protects the buyer. Hoosier

3. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

I am a retired FFL holder. Yes, you must have a copy of the FFL to ship to. It is the only proof you have that you are not selling to a banned individual. Also, many FFL's for some reason, refuse to send an FFL to a non-FFL. It is their choice to do so. There are a couple things you can do. Call his FFL directly and explain you are a C&R holder and maybe he will agree to FAX you a copy for shipping purposes. Have your buyer find another FFL to go through. Find an FFL on your end that will ship to his FFL.

Good luck.
    Eric

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I send a copy of my FFL to Non FFl holders. I write on the front "For Transfer Only" NOT for FTF transfers. Then the receiving person casn't use it for anything other than proof of Name and address to send gun.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

Have the FFL dealer write "Copy" over the license, then fax it to you. You really can't use the copy for anything anyway. You just need an address to send it to legally, of the FFL holders premises. That is why it has to be an unaltered copy of the actual FFL. Besides the "copy" written over it. Just don't write it over any of the typed in info. Write "copy" over the general wording of the FFL. That way you can see if they try to "White Out" the word "Copy".

It used to have to be an ink signed, sent copy. Now it can be faxed, or emailed.

6. SoTo

SoTo Active Member

I agree with the "COPY" advice. We are an FFL holder and many times are a little hesitant to give out copies to a private citizen because there are some pretty unscrupulous folks out there. But, we stamp "COPY" and write for transfer purposes only on the FFL if we aren't sure. And like Rey advised above, you can also verify they are legit by calling them, getting the first and last 5 of the FFL digits and inputting them into the ATF's FFL EZ-Check system.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

OR... just take the gun to a FFL dealer/holder in your area and have them ship it to the other FFL dealer/holder. They will have to varify each other before shipment. Have your customer pay the extra fees if any since he picked the FFL on his end.

Beth

7. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

Insist that your buyer have his FFL send a copy of the license to you. It's your peace of mind. When you made your deal did the buyer know you were not an FFL holder?
    It is also possible to verify the FFL on the ATF website but it is not as easy as ezcheck - you have to search through the state list of FFL's. Only send the gun to the verified address and print a copy for your records. Send a copy of your driver's license.

8. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.
    dju