1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need federal metro sub sonic shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jlpollo, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlpollo

jlpollo TS Member

need to purchase federal sub sonic shells in the blue box; need 2500 to 5000 any shot size muz vel 900 fps

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

One source but they are not cheap.

Rock

Jim

3. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

jpollo what part of the world are you in?

4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Only ones I ever saw were "Metro" loads, only loaded in 7 1/2's, I bought a flat at Waco Gun Club last time I was there, they had a bunch.

When Gander first opened in Amarillo, they had some, but I haven't seen them there since. They work well, and will cycle any gas gun I know of.

5. BMC

BMC Member

A lot of times the Federal Metro Load has to be special ordered. They are incredibly hard to find here which is okay because the Winchester Low Noise, Low Recoil feather light is basically the same load. They have the feather on the AA on the front of the box and work Exceptionally well with the metro barrel and no bang just like the metro shells. MetroGun suggests either one.

6. jlpollo

jlpollo TS Member

We are in Arizona, Scottsdale

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

BMC, not to quibble but the feathers and metros aren't close to the same load. Feathers are 26 gram, Metros 32 gram-----960 and 900 fps. But I don't see the feathers on the Winchester website any longer, might buy some up if you want to keep getting them.

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Yep, with data and powder now released by Hodgdon, we can do that.

9. BMC

BMC Member

Hey Texas. I know what you are saying recipe-wise and I agree that technically they are not the same. I have the metro barrel and have used both brands and couldn't tell a difference, especially in the sound department, both were no-bang loads and both were very quiet and having the same woooosh sound. When I talked with Brezny about the differences when I first bought my barrel from him he is the one who shared the information about the Win's being nearly equal, but the Feds were specific and something they had worked with them on. I haven't heard about the feathers being discontinued, that would be a real bummer here because the Feds are hard to get for that load. I'll have to stock up on a few more boxes just in case you are correct. Thanks.
    Brian.

10. incognito

incognito TS Member

Texas ton,

Where can I find the loading data for sub-sonic (900fps) loads? I went to Hodgdon.com and didn't find any loads under 1025fps.

Thanks.

11. BRUSHMAN

BRUSHMAN TS Member

This is my first post -- I hope I'm doing it right. Playing it safe, here's the URL again: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp.

According to this web site: (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html) the speed of sound at sea level is 1100 fps, more or less, depending on temperature. That would mean to me that >1000 fps is lower than you really need.

There are several loads using WAALite (a new Winchester powder just being shipped) that will produce loads in the under-1100 fps category, including loads of 7/8 oz @ 1050; 1 oz starting at 970; and 1-1/8 oz starting @ 980 fps.

Most of these loads take incredibly little powder, too, which should cut down on the powder cost.

In case anyone cares, the 7/8 oz loads with #8-1/2 or #9 shot make GREAT first-barrel loads for trap doubles. I've used 7/8 @ 1200 fps for both barrels and broken 95x100. I mis-pointed the other five targets.

I hope this helps!

J.D. Jenkins

12. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Incognito, Brushman gave the right link to the "reloading data center", you just have to follow the puzzle on out, but the new center is really nice once you get there. From that link he posted, just click on shotshell and you should go right in to the segment page, choose your preferences.

To duplicate the Feather, click on 26 gram then AAlite powder etc etc, but there are alot of combos in there if you will look.

Yep Brushman, I'd say you did fine.

13. incognito

incognito TS Member

I'm not looking to duplicate the "Feather." I asked where to find data to duplicate the Federal "Metro" load of 1-1/8 ounce at 900fps. Not 26 grams and not 1090fps or even 980fps. And, I spent plenty of time "looking." But maybe "if you'll look" you could find it for me since apparently I am not smart enough to locate it.

14. BRUSHMAN

BRUSHMAN TS Member

Texas ton: Thanks for the reinforcement.

Incognito: The short answer to your whining is that you can't make a 900 fps, 1-1/8 copy of Federal's metro load. The powder to do it isn't available to the public.

Please forgive me for trying to help you find a workable alternative. You don't seem to be very appreciative when someone goes out of his way to help you interpolate/extrapolate to an alternate solution which will give you the functional equivalent.

My wife says I'm being too hard on you. I told her you need to pull on your big girl panties and deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal metro loads