1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Estate 1 oz load with Promo and 12so

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've looked and searched and can't find a load I need with the stuff I have on hand hope someone can help. I have Promo powder, Estate cases, 12so clone wads, and the only primers I have are Winchester. Help!!!! Not looking for a hot load 1150 +or- be fine.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You will do better with Claybuster's Red Eight wads for one ounce loads. The 12SO wad is too long for that load/hull/powder combo.

Makes a dandy 7/8 oz load with 20 gr Promo.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The listed Fiocchi load for Promo & 12S0 is what you want, I think. Fio 616 and Win209 are good swaps, and the fiber basewad in the Estate will absorb a little pressure and drop your velocity 40-50fps - what you are looking for.

Bob

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Around 18.0 grains of Promo with the components you mentioned. That should step out at around 1180 fps with reasonable pressures. I use virtually the same load with Federal 209A primers. The Federal 12S0 wad fits the Estate hulls just fine with one ounce of shot. It was that size hull they were originally designed for. I'm making the assumption that the Estate Hulls are the Federal type with the rolled paper basewads. I would not load them more than a couple of times, since the primers usually start to show signs of gas leakage around the cups. If you do a search on this site for the Federal Top Guns, there should be a LOT of information available.

The load I mentioned was a lower charge weight than what was listed in an older Alliant loading book. 2005 or so if my memory serves me. The Federal Primer was specified, but I've loaded them with Winchesters and Rios as well. The pressure was low enough that even a rather drastic increase in pressures would still have been within normal limits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.