1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need contact information for a Ballistics lab

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

There was a post months ago for a company that would test 5 shells for a nominal charge ($25??). I cannot find it.

I need to test some 3" 20 ga loads. I have acquired 500 "Nitro Pheasant" hulls; and Hodgdon could not tell me if I should use the "Premier" or "Nitro Steel" recipes.

My plan is to load some with the Nitro Steel recipe and see how they perform vs the data on the Hodgdon site. I only need pressure testing, but would like to get velocity too. That should answer what hull recipe to use moving forward.

Please PM me if you know of a company that does this testing. If any of you load these hulls, which hull data do you use?

Thanks,

Don Verna

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Kevin at DownRange provides this service for price you mention. At least I recall that being what I paid a couple of years ago to have a recipe tested.

ss

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don

Kevin Lewis at Downrange Wads does this, but I don't think he has a pressure gun in 20 gauge. Only 12 gauge.

Another option is to get a few samples of the two other hulls you mentioned, see what volume they hold (fill them with water and measure, then compare) and cut them apart to see if they look the same.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Tim.

That is good advice.

Thanks,

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.