1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need computer help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mcginty22, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcginty22

mcginty22 TS Member

just installed internet explorer 8 and when i open a thread and then close it , it goes back to beginning rather than to the next thread. anyone know how to get this back to the way it was ? thanks Dean

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I've read some comments abut IE 8 being a bit temperamental.

You don't say which Windows version you have. If Vista, try going into Control Panel, then open "Windows Update". At the bottom of the box on the left, you'll see "Installed Updates". Click that and you'll get a list of all updates done on your PC. You should be able to uninstall the one for IE 8, once you find it.

If you are in Windows XP, open Control Panel, then open "Add Remove Programs". Look for Windows Internet Explorer 8 and click Remove.

An alternative to the above is to do a System Restore if you know the date and time your system was updated with IE8. Just restore it to the restore point created right before that. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

Try this at your own risk because I don't know if it will revert to Internet Explorer 7.

You may want to try Mozilla Firefox, as suggested by EE.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I haven't played with IE8 much yet, but from what's been floating into the tech center here over the past couple weeks, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're experiencing "compatibility" problems between the coding of this web site and the rendering engine in IE8. It's a known issue with IE8; the developers are tying to emulate the way Firefox renders pages and they still haven't worked out all the kinks. It's a lot more complicated than just the way IE8 interprets code but I hope you get the idea.

I use Firefox 3.5.1 as default browser and keep a Firefox add-on in the tool bar that opens the current tab in IE7 when I encounter a page or a function FF won't render properly. I'm happy with that arrangement.

Carol Lister

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I run Vista home premium and if you also run Vista you can't get rid of IE8 at least I can't because after downing the program which came as an update. I tried to uninstall it as it caused problems with my spell check program and when I open the internet the opening screen is about 4" wide and 8" tall. Which I can't change and it pizzes me off.

When I tried to uninstall the update section of Vista will no longer install down loads because a critical security download is missing. So I had to download IE8 again.

Bob Lawless

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I'm curious, Bob...

Did you buy this system with Vista and IE8 pre-installed or did you do clean installs of each on an already-existing system?

I'm asking because it has been Microsoft's practice in the past to sell manufacturers a "builder's version" of an OS and browser bundled together so that either can be updated but they can't be separated.

Lister

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I run into IE8 frequently and routinely uninstall it. Most folks get IE8 because Microsoft slips it to you in Automatic updates.

I haven't had any problems with simply uninstalling it from Control Panel, despite the scary looking messages during the process; then reboot. Your machine will revert to IE6, which can't be removed. Then go up to Windows update, scan for updates, and uncheck the box that tries to "correct" your browser back to IE8. It will ask you if you want to permanently hide this update. Tell it to hide IE8, especially if you use automatic updates. On a second scan, IE7 will appear and will reinstall correctly. Scan again when it's over to get the patches to IE7.

I believe this works in both XP and Vista.

The only time I use IE at all is when I go to Microsoft for updates. The rest of the time I use Firefox 3.5.

Shame on Microsoft for forcing it on users by default. Congress seems to do the same thing.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I switched to Firefox when I read good things about it from posters on here. But I many times could not print whole webpages - one or both edges would be cut off and I couldn't find a way to reformat them to fit. I went back to IE and don't have any obvious problems. Besides, a lot of webpages state that they are best viewed using IE. I've owned a PC since 1983 but never made a hobby of it and don't understand all the inner workings of software.

Ed

9. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Ed, FYI re. print format...

The "print" dropdown in the right-click context menu of the FF browser contains both "print" and a "print preview" functions. The "print preview" function contains a page sizer that controls how the print fills the paper. Often, the default percentage setting for the page is too high to keep the page within the paper size so it's a simple matter to reduce the size percentage until the web page fits the paper. The percentages can go higher than 100% to allow small images to be enlarged by printing.

You're correct that there are some web pages and some functions on web pages that Firefox does not support. It just happens that those functions are what creates so many vulnerabilities in IE and it's NOT using them that makes FF more secure. I keep a Firefox add-on handy to render a page in IE when I discover that problem. It's also Microsoft's attempts to render effects in the same secure way that Firefox does that have created the need for a "compatibility mode" in IE 8. There are now some effects that IE used to render that it no longer can.

Carol Lister

10. ivanhoe

Carol Lister as bobdog said I have the computer set to do automatic up when I fired it up one morning it had been automatically downloaded. This action happened according to update history on 5/11/09.

I don't have any real problems with IE 8, It does however have a couple of things that I am not crazy about. One is the size of the opening screen when I click on the IE icon to go on line or if I click on a website in my Links file. It also opens with a reduced screen.

Bob Lawless

11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

12. ivanhoe

Carol thank and I appreciate that however it doesn't work.

Bob Lawless

13. capvan

capvan Active Member

I design and build websites. When we're well along, we test the site on all available browsers. Firefox shows things great, IE is really, really, bad. We spend a lot of time tweaking things to get them to work with windoze IE.

Of course, you could get a Mac, which would make things a LOT better for you.

But that's another thread...

Bruce

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ivanhoe, I use IE New Window Maximizer.

You can download it here.

Works for me. It always opens your windows maximized.

Hauxfan!

15. Hauxfan

If your IE8 is slow, you may be able to speed it up a little with this add on. I've tried it and it does help a little.

Go to this page and read it and follow the instructions. Probably best to print the page out so you'll be able to read it as you tweak your registry.

Hauxfan!

16. ivanhoe

Hauxfan I thank you for that but there isn't enough information on that page and it also doesn't say it is for Vista.

Thanks anyway

Bob Lawless

17. Hauxfan

Bob, I'm sure the Maximizer will work for Vista too. If it doesn't, just delete it.

It's worth a try. And it can't hurt.

Hauxfan!

18. mcginty22

mcginty22 TS Member

thanks to all for help, i did a restore back to lastweek, (ie7) worked fine, have to keep it simple for those of us that are challenged by computers, now if some one could tell me how to open e mails with pics with the red x in the top left corner i would appreciate it. thanks mcginty

19. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

"They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards you hear satanic messages. That's nothing cause if you play it forwards it installs Windows...."

GO FIREFOX!!

20. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Right click on the red X and from the dropdown click on show picture. This does not wokk all the time.Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.