1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Computer Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by phirel, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Problem began, I think, when Mcafee told me to delete a program (GenericPUP.x) in Windows System 32\tmp.xr) I could not find the program but must have done something else. Now I get the error message from Suchost- Application error 0X000000 referenced memory @ 0X00000000 can't be read. and then a series of screens that say "can't create a new socket". I now can't open Windows XP even in the safe mode and I can't get the system restore site to open. I don't have a clue about what is happening.

If I have to reinstall Windows XP, will I lose everything that is now on Windows?

Pat Ireland

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Damn ... have you thought about using a bigger hammer?

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I think if you insert your install disk, booting from the CD, you can choose "Repair Mode." If it allows I would try that first and I think there is an option to do a system restore. At least my Vista disk does and believe me I've had to use it.

Obviously while you can still access it back up all your data in case a re-install is needed.

Good Luck!

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Do a google search for generic pup. Lots of fixes out there.

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Pat, see the above Link. I think it will help.

Jerbear

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Hey guys! If Pat only has ONE computer and it's belly-up, just how is he going to go somewhere on-line?

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Andy, how did he post here?

Jerbear

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I spent the last 18 hours doing this for a real estate firm here (all night last night and into the day today).

Can you do this? Do a restore to a date prior to your problem? If you deleted a file, and it's still in the Recycle Bin, you might be able to fix the problem.

When you do a reinstall (try repair first), you lose all your dll (Data Link Library files) and these work in concert with the OS and the particular program to make the program run properly.

You will not lose any data, as long as you do not format the partition. You get that option when doing an install. So DON'T format any NTFS file system. REPEAT, DO NOT REFORMAT, or everything is gone.

Your data files, docs, etc., are still there, just the dll's are going to be there. To rectify this, you need to reinstall the programs to get the appropriate dlls setup.

If I were where you are, I'd stop over and do this for you for nought - well, a beer, glass or wine of a good cup or two of coffee.

Whiz

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerbear- I tried the link, the directions indicated that this should only be attempted by advanced users. That lets me out.

Andy- I do have more than one computer. My office set up requires that I keep two computers on my desk. I now have only one and it is hurting my productivity.

Whiz- Could you drop over tonight? It is not far, after you drive across Tennessee, you are only an hour from my home.

I still need help.

Pat Ireland

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you try doing a system restore as suggested? HMB

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hmb

"Did you try doing a system restore as suggested?"

Pat

"I now can't open Windows XP even in the safe mode and I can't get the system restore site to open. I don't have a clue about what is happening."

hmb do you suppose he tried that or maybe he was being obtuse when he said this.

Bob Lawless

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Pat-

Had a similar problem with my XP laptop system a while back, only I didn't delete any files (that I know of). I literally had to shut it down, rather than reboot, MANY times! I let it sit for at least 10 minutes before starting it up. I noticed that it would go farther into the boot routine before stalling. Soooooo.....I took the sucker apart and cleaned everything I could with a vacuum and judicious wiping. After re-assembling the POS, it finally started without any issues. BTW, I totally ditched McAfee and went with AVG, and now use Acronis True Image faithfully. Neat program as you can create a separate boot image that allows you to start your computer when boot problems arise.

AndyH

13. whiz white

Many times working on laptops I have experienced that if you remove the battery entirely, and then reinstall it, it will boot up.

Whiz

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Pat, no offense intended to anybody, but I would take most of these suggestions with a grain of salt. Everybody means well, but they don't have enough information to really help you.

For example, I'm guessing that the error message you got from McAfee was referring to Svchost, not Suchost. Second, the hexidecimal number you refer to should be 10 characters long, as in 0x0000007e, and it typically isn't all zeros. If it's a bluescreen message, it probably gave you some additional information, sometimes referring to the exact program file that is damaged.

There is also a possibility that you have a virus called Joke Bluescreen, which displays bluescreen error messages and halts the machine.

If you want help, send me a PM and we can connect by phone.

15. whiz white

Rather than consider some of our help as to be taken as a grain of salt...

Type in Joke Bluescreen in Google and see what Trend Micro says. It is malware, and displays a particular message, none of which you indicated you saw.

I belive your problem is not this simple.

[​IMG]

It could be as simple as bad RAM; easy to test/fix.

Whiz

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

(Edited later for accuracy)

Whiz, I didn't see your comment until now. The SysInternals blue screen joke screensaver has been around for a long time, and may still be available on Microsoft's website. Microsoft bought out Russinovich several years ago. He had another screensaver that inverted your screen, which is kinda strange the first time you see it.

Pat indicated that McAfee was reporting GenericPup.x. There are numerous threads on this subject available from Google. The general approach is to download several special purpose removal tools, turn off System Restore, boot in safe mode, and clean house. See the link above at yahoo answers.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat,

Did you ever get this resolved? Sorry, but this was the first time I saw your post.

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Pat,

Is this a laptop or a tower??

If a laptop this is harder to do, if it's a tower - much easier.

It would be great to 'roll back' the OS to a previous system date, but I suspect you are beyond that now. I think things could be repaired, but you are talking about a fair amount of time and a need for certain expertise, that from what you say you probably do not have.

I do this procedure for people all the time, and it is a great way to back things up as well.

You install a second hard drive. In the tower you just add it internally (you might need a new cable or two). For a laptop it means taking the HD out of the machine, putting in a new one and then installing the old one in an external USB enclosure.

Once this is done you can reinstall your OS on the new HD - all your data and programs will be on the old HD, the data will be easy to retrieve - programs are more problematic, and the ease of doing this depends on the vendor and/or on how computer savvy you are - you might end up having to re-install them.

The original drive can then be used as a data store (good idea to keep a back up anyway). If it is a laptop the external enclosure makes this portable too (you can take things home for night or week-end work. I guess if you pulled the original HD from the computer and put it into an external case you could do the same with it).

The single most typical failure in computers is the HD, so replacing them is not a bad idea. You can also add larger, faster drives which lets your machine run faster and hold more 'stuff' (that's a technical term). Typically the limiting factor for most computer use is the data read/write process involving the HD. so faster drives can really speed things up (also increasing RAM helps here - that's another story though).

David D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.