1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need computer geek...lot's of questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

need computer geek...lot

i need to replace cpu&hard drive.have a 1.7 now want to replace with a faster cpu.w/o replacing motherboard.will any 478 socket cpu work?how do i transfer reg# from old hard drive to new hard drive?
    tk's jim

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A lot would depend on just WHAT your system already has and exactly WHAT it is. Laptop? Desktop? HP, Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, etc, AND model number and serial number. That way it might be easier to help you out. Hard drives can be limited by what the Bios will accept. The CPU may be limited by the Bios, Socket type, etc. If it's older than three years, put the money towards a new machine. Usually a memory upgrade will be the most cost effective upgrade you can make. You also need to absolutely cetain of what socket type your cpu is. Not many 1.7's made for "standard" socket 478's.

You can use software to copy everything from the old drive to the new one. You can also do a fresh install, but that is way more involved. The Windows registration number should be on a sticker on the outside of the case somewhere. Just be sure you have registration numbers for ALL the other software AND the installation files. There are programs that can interrogate your system and find the registration numbers for most popular software. Other programs should have someplace where you can find the number, Usually in the help menu/about tab.

I don't usually recommend upgrading older machines since they tend not to be reliable and the bang for the buck is not there. By the time you replace the CPU, Hard Drive, and upgrade Memory, you have half the cost of a new system or more.

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I just replaced my 5 yr. old desktop with an HP Slimline. Wide screen lcd monitor, AMD 2.7 cpu, 3 mb ram, 250 gb hard drive, Win. 7, NVIDIA, $400+ at Sam's Club. Love it!

Buz

4. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Tracyhunter:
    Take my word for it, Quack Shot knows more about computers than 99 % of the experts,or I should say people who call themselves experts. I had a problem with my computer after switching to Comcast triple play. The monitor froze,& became unresponsive to all KEYS. Turning on/off,& all the remedies the expert with Comcast suggested did nothing to solve my problem. I was in panic mode,as I live in a very rural area. On my Soc.Sec. it would be impossible to get enough money to pay for obtaining an expert to make a house call. I know Quack Shot, so I gave him a ring. That's Eastern Shore Talk for called him on the telephone. In no time flat he had me up & running all via telephone. What I am saying follow his advice & you can't go wrong. He may give you a trapshooter's discount.If you try to get a Comcast expert on computers & his name is Jay,just say," Sorry,I called the wrong number."
    Joe Jordan

5. glenns

glenns Member

Jay probably resides in India.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I don't know Quackshot but he speaks the truth. Having done this a few times his advice is spot on.

Jim

7. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

thank's for all the replies.now using a new dell.old computer is in the big green can.
    tracy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.