1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need cheap 1100 trap for grandson

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stainlessbt99, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

I am in need of a cheap 1100 trap for my grandson. Any condition okay. He wants to try trap shooting.
    Thanks

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

What is the price range of cheap?

Corey

3. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

With the $785 you should expect to pay for a new Remington 1100 or 11-87 your grandson could be better served with a Browning BT-99 youth which you may find to be available used in pretty good shape within $900 and $1,100 dollars. Invest a little more on your grandson, you and him will be happy you did.

Berettaman7

4. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I SAW ONE RECENTLY AT RAYS SPORTSHOP IN NJ GOING FOR 399.

5. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I disagree with going to the BT-99 as his first gun, especially if you want to buy "cheap"

He's much better off with the 1100 for a variety of reasons.

#1. Recoil

#2 Ease of operation in singles

#3 About 5 or 6 million made

#4 You can get a field 1100 used for about $350-$375 that has much less wear and tear than a bona-fide used 1100 trap gun. You can change stocks and forends six ways to Sunday to fit his needs.

#5 "70 % of all shooters, shoot better with an 1100" - Jim Carmichael

If he likes the game and likes shooting, he'll probably do better with an 1100 to start. If he doesn't like it and you want to sell the 1100 - you'll get your money back on it. If you go out and buy a BT, and try to sell it; you'll have to wait a bit longer and then hope you can get what you paid.

#6 very easy to point well with, follow through and shoot

#7 if he takes well to the game you don't need a different gun for doubles
    (a spare 1100 is a good idea)

I shot three Grand Americans on the Champion of Champions from CT (junior) in the early 1980s and watched Leo Harrison, III vaporize 27 yd handicap targets as if they were 16 yd. I broke my first two, 100 straights at the Grand with an 1100 and went from 22 yds to 26-1/2 yards in a week at the Grand with an 1100. I watched Roger Smith from Kansas win the GAH with an 1100 (field grade if I remember correctly)

In years following, I switched from the 1100 to two Beretta 682s and a Ljutic monogun and struggled to stay in A class during the mid to late 1990s. I sold all that stuff, went back to my 1100s, and was back in AA within two weeks, breaking mid to high 90s regularly in doubles and finally earned my 27 yard pin
    with my 1100.

It's the best shotgun out there for the money and probably the best out there, period. Just my slightly biased opinion <wink>

6. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Steve is right on all counts. 1100 is the best.

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with the advice to choose an 1100, providing the stock can be shortened enough to fit your grandson. Another need may be to put padding on the comb to allow him to see over the action with his cheek snugly on the comb. Depending on the size of your grandson, he may not be able to look along the rib without raising his cheek off the comb when using a stock designed for an adult.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall an attachment comb that was designed to turn a field stock into a trap stock with a parallel comb. If I am correct, such an attacnment may raise your grandson's eye high enough to look along the rib rather than into the back of the action.

Rollin

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

hairy:

I also thought that Roger was shooting a Spegetti gun in the handicap.

Foghorn

9. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

thanks for all the advise. I have a couple leads on 1100's and I think that is the way wwe will go.
    Thanks

10. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I might have my years mixed up. Roger Smith was 1983, right? I might have been thinking of the 1981. I remember him using an 1100.

11. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

And stainlessBT99, don't get talked into the high dollar, high priced late model "glitzy" 1100s like the $1,300 "Competition" or the "G3" or even that
    1100/11-87 hybrid called the "Classic Trap".

All you need is a solid, older one in good shape that fits him and that he can break targets with. If he's comfortable and can break targets where he's looking - that's it. Nothing else needed except shells and targets and spare parts.

I had a "Classic Trap" that shot around corners! I recently handled a "Competition" 1100 and its heavier than it should be.

Spend the $350 for a used 1100 with a fixed, choke bbl - even if it's a 28" field modified with vent rib and a single bead. He'll break targets.

12. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Guns Galore in Fenton Michigan has two of them older 1100 with fixed chokes one market TRAP on the receiver other one did not say trap but has trap wood.
    The one marked TRAP had a pretty decent trigger. Price on either $395.00 which I think is a decent price. I would buy the one marked TRAP.

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.