1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need breading recipe for fish

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Alright boys! I found a good mild white fish that tastes very good, economical to buy etc. I have always preferred white saltine crackers ground finely with my favorite fish which is bluegill, lake perch and crappie in that order. The trouble is, even though the taste was excellent with this cheap fish I found, the flesh was too soft! I need a breading which will not mask or wipe out the fish flavor! Please, no flour, or cornmeal or egg batter as this will take away the good flavor. Any suggestions?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Half flour & half corn meal.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Drakes is good but contains some flour and cornmeal.

A Japanesse Tempura batter is very light and crispy. I forgot the recipe so you will have to do a search.

4. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Try KRUSTEZE pancake mix,works and tastes great
    Jim Sims

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take a baking dish and put a little olive oil and fresh garlic in the bottom. Put the fish on top and cover with 1/3 yellow mustard and 2/3 Hellman's Mayonaise mixed together. Mix up enough to make a 1/3 inch layer on top of the fish. Bake in the oven until the mayo turns light brown. HMB

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Panko (Japanese) bread crumbs (readily available at grocers) make a nice coating for fish but you need something to bind the Panko together (flour) and something else to bind it to the fish (egg). Mix a couple cups of Panko with a cup of all-purpose flour (or Wondra if you prefer) and add a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper it. Break a couple eggs into a bowl, whip them and dip the fish into the egg. I lay the fillets on a cookie sheet and sprinkle the Panko onto the fish (both sides) rather than rolling them in it.

The flavor of the coating is very mild and the fish will taste like fish instead of salt or spices. Use commercial mixes only if you need to cover the taste of fish that tastes bad in the first place.

Lister

7. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

If you've never tried House Autry Seafood Breader you are in for a real treat. I live in S. Florida, fish in the ocean a lot, and have had people come back for thirds of even the lowly King Mackerel cooked with House Autry. I buy it at our local Publix groceryor http://www.house-autry.com/retail-products/seafood/seafood-breader. Enjoy. Larry

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK, now you're going to have to trust me on this one. Mix 1 cup of pancake mix with 4 tablespoons of corn starch and add 7up until the consistancy is to where you need it. Now take the fish fillets and roll them in flour and then the mixture. Place the pieces in hot peanut oil (or veg oil) until browned.

You can thank me later......

9. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

you killed my idea when you omitted the corn meal.
    But everybody loves my fish.

StansCustoms thanked this.
  10. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

Drakes, pan fry in a cast iron skillet half filled with oil. Fry until golden brown,crap made my mouth water.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I also like the blackend Cajun style, best on high heat cast iron outdoors.

12. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

trapshooter421 said,<blockquote>" pan fry in a cast iron skillet half filled with oil. Fry until golden brown,crap made my mouth water.</blockquote>

I have an entirely different reaction to it!

Lister

13. andybull

andybull Active Member

BassPro sells what you want.

14. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Hey Tom,

This is a batter mix much like what could be called a Tempura batter.

1 C flour 1 Tbls Baking Powder 1 Tbls garlic salt, or 1/2 that amount of Garlic powder.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Add water so that you make a soft ball with the batter.

Then add white vinegar and whip until the consistency of a light pancake batter is achieved.

For striper, I will soak the filets in beer, any kind is fine, what I find this does is help remove the excess fish taste from the red part of the meat. They can be soaked anywhere from a couple of hours to days, the time really is not too critical.

Remove them from the beer into something that will allow a good draining. You actually want thte filets to be only moist before dipping.

Heat up a pot of oil to 375 degrees. Use a thermometer and a heavy pot for best results. Oh and having all of this outside is a big plus!

Place the filets, or pieces, usually about 2-3 inches in length, into the batter, remove from the batter and place into the hot oil.

Move them a bit and when they hit that golden to a bit darker they are done. Place then into a bowl with a paper towell and chow down!

OH you can also add some cajun spice, or dash and lemon pepper to the mix for a slight change in taste.

Cheers,

George

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Half Flour and half cornmeal with Cayyenne pepper added

16. GRR

GRR TS Member

Try this.....flour then egg wash and coat with potato buds instant mash potatoes. It must be Betty Crocker Potatoes Buds. Fry in oil at 350 - 375.

The coating is very crispy and doesn't take away from the fish flavor.

Omit the flour and egg wash if you want, but I don't know if it will stick on the fish.

I use it on all fish.. Bluegill, Crappy, Walleye, Pike, White Bass and all sorts of ocean fish.

A good beer before and snifter of Drambuie after. It dosen't get any better!

17. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

War Eagle Mill makes Harold Ensley Fish Coating. Wet the fish, coat and cook. Easy and good. Great for BIG fish frys because there is little mess with liquid coating. Good on other stuff also.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Egg wash and plain ol Flour seasoned with garlic powder, salt and pepper, fry in hot Veggie oil 3 minutes on each side ... Try it you'll love it ... Got the recipe from the Chef from Dillions Restaurant here in the Valley, thats what they use of their Cat Fish but works on any and all fish, I have tried it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

egg and milk wash and then half flour & half corn meal. Let sit up overnight in the frig. This will give it a give of firmness and keep the breading from falling off. Then fry in good hot oil and enjoy. In my view corn, hushpuppies, and a cold beer go well with fried fish.

20. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

We do fish fries a our club that are open to the public. We use Alaskan Pollock and dip it in butter milk and then into Gordon Foods breading mix which is a cornmeal based with flour and some other ingredients. Sometimes we do 350 dinners during the Lenten season and the people rave about how good our fish tastes. A local product here in Northwest Ohio is Young's All Purpose batter mix. It is wheat and corn flour with some salt,sugar baking soda and powdered milk and paprika. Use it as a crispy breading = that is dry in a bag or make a crispy batter either way it is great. Try Drakes but add a little sugar and some baking soda and ti will come out nice and puffed up. Sort of like Long John Silvers fish does. Also great for doing deep fried Oreos and other county fair/festival types of things. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.