1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Beretta Semi-Auto Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by unioncracker, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Looking to replace my trusty rem 1100 with a beretta. Could I get some feedback on their semi's.This will be a hunting gun 2 3/4-3 in. Old or new models.What is good.

Buddy

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Buddy,

There has been much discussion regarding different models of semi-autos, I just don't know how you would specifically search for same. I will tell you that I have taken away a strong positive feeling for the Beretta 390. I have had one for years. I have added a Soft Touch Stock and a Shotgun Specialities 32" barrel. I shoot it for all clay sports and have never had it fail me. Because I listened to the "Big Dogs", my primary gun is a Beretta DT 10, but the 390 is never far away.

Just my 2 cents.

JON

3. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I had shot 1100's for trap for a long time. Had a chance to shoot a 391 Teknys (with the recoil reducer in the stock)and had to buy the gun. This gun has very light felt recoil, needs complete cleaning infrequently compared with the 1100, and cycled with complete reliability for a couple of thousand doubles this season. I will not get rid of my 1100, but it is now my backup gun.

Chris

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot a lot and they are all very big loads. I use a Beretta 303 but all the 300 series berettas are great guns. I have had my 1100's and they are ok but they wont hold up to what I put them through and the Beretta's do

5. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have had a 390 for years and I like it very much. My old 1100's seemed to jam-up more than the Beretta. Recoil is not bad. I would buy it again. I like the bigger forend on the 390 over the 391.

My son has the Extrema2 and he likes it very well. He got the black instead of the camo. One of my buddies said the camo comes off sometimes, I have not seen this but he is a duck hunter.

My friend has SBE Benelli and he states it is very reliable and he almost never cleans it. He is also a duck hunter. Another buddy of mine has a Benelli and he says when it gets to 20 degrees it becomes a single shot ( I doubt he has cleaned this gun very much).

Finally, one of my other friends has 1187 and it seems to work well for him.

Charlie Becknell

6. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I recently picked up a synthetic 20 gauge 390 for my son to start hunting with and liked it so much I just bought a 12 gauge AL390 for me. I'm no expert but I think the AL390 models are lighter than the A390 models. And they are easier to clean than the 391.

Here is a handy link to compare models. If it is only for hunting i would go synthetic.

http://keoteba.tripod.com/shotguns/beretta/al390special.html

David

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

cuban is right on--beretta 301,302,303, maybe even an AL2!! -light weight-low recoil-POI 60% on most to start with-28" fixed modified or get a mobil choked barrel----consider getting a beatup trap model-shoots 70% high and wont kill you in price--my thot is that most pheasants are shot in the butt, if you get a lil higher shooting gun you will hit them in the top 1/2 as they fly away!!---call me as i probably have what you need. wally riebesell, 660-744-4115

8. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

The (blue or green) plastic decoration thingies on Tekneys will come loose-I've lost them and they were pretty expensive when I called Beretta. I decided not to replace the ones I lost and just use the gun since they are cosmetic anyway.

9. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Thanks for all the input. Great info. I have big hands so things like the larger forearm is good to know. My 1100 has always been great but it has always needed cleaning attention even more so now that it is 30 plus years old. Please keep it up. Not sure what models but the nickel receiver models are sharp guns and swing quite well considering they are lighter than my 1100.Should I get the wood stock and invest in aftermarket synthetic.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

and, VERY seriously, consult with Tron Gunworks. He is my "go to" guy re. these guns and well-respected. He posts here often. He also has an amazing cat, "Kitty" that is the shop mascot and does the checkering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.