1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need barrel porting info (doubles)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cyrus, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Hi, I am looking for advice on porting my O/U doubles Trap and doubles Skeet barrels. I have used Briley for most of my barrel work, and have found they have been excellent to deal with and do a great job, however I have never seen or have spoken to anyone that has had them port barrels. From their website video, they use a single row of 8 portholes on each individual barrel. In addition can anyone reccomend ( for doubles ) porting just the bottom barrel for the first shot, or porting both barrels. Does anyone have any advice/experience on this topic. I need to make a shipment to Briley anyway, I'm trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. By the way, FYI Briley cost single barrel porting $95, O/U $165. Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Jeff 516 766 -0784

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you want to reduce the value of your barrels.. and probably not see any results.. or little at best.. port them.. Personally..a properly fitted stock and recoil pad will get you more birds than drilling holes in your barrel..

3. topgun

topgun TS Member

Don't do it!

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Porting Advantages: looks cool (to some); slight, almost imperceptible reduction in "muzzle flip" (scientific term - not). Porting Disadvantages: costly in two ways - 1. service to install porting including shipping charges 2. diminishes the value of the barrels/gun (note how many times comments about Perazzi barrels include something about the gun/barrel "is original...not 'messed with' via porting or aftermarket choke tubes); creates lots of little holes which may/may not need to be cleaned; some claim that small pieces of debris fly out of the holes offending other shooters; louder noise from firing; miniscule performance change for $$ spent. All of the above are my opinion only...others may disagree a bunch. My vote...wait a couple of years, then decide. Best Regards, Ed

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like my Pro Ported barrels. If I were to get a new gun, I would have the barrels ported. When I shoot, my barrels move down. Non ported barrels move up. Pro Port does not drill holes. They cut small rectangles at just the right angle.

Pat Ireland

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Shot ported and unported barrels side by side for years and the only difference i have ever noticed is in noise. The ported barrels do more hearing damage than non-ported. You will devalue your barrels and spend money for no reason. This is my opinion but also many many other shooters as well.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Shooting doubles.. I have found.. the very slight move up..helps me get to the 2nd bird that is rising.. Even when I sweep.. the 2nd bird is on the upswing..I can see no benifit at all having the barrel move away from the bird.. If your gun rises alot.. you have a stock problem.. not a barrel problem.. Same theory applies to bunker..

8. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

In the past I have had two identical guns. One ported and the other not. I could never tell the difference.
    Todd

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have adopted a new outlook on porting. I want everyone to port their barrels and modify their guns in a manor which can never be retured to original (without breaking the bank).

Shooters that do this are only helping my cause by making my non-ported guns all the more valuable.

Please port away one and all!!!!!

The best way to reduce any unwanted barrel movement is to have a proper fitting done and reduce the payload of the first shot. I find that 7/8oz of 8.5's work very well for the first shot and has no real recoil.

Spend your money wisely and not foolishly.

ss

10. shooter

shooter TS Member

Pat Ireland has it right. And he has over 80,000 doubles.

The way to go is "ProPort", Don't let anyone just drill holes in your barrels.

11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I picked up Krieghoff Model 32 O/U 30" barrels that the previous owner had set up for trap doubles. He had Briley overbore the barrels to .741, install thinwall chokes and port just the bottom barrel.

Appears to be excellent work, but I can't tell any difference shooting re: the porting.

12. tj303

tj303 Member

I had a set of O/U barrels ported. Waste of money. I did get a louder "BANG" for my buck!

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When you do the math.. The thickness of barrels close to the end are not thin enough to redired much gas at all.. considering how much is there to start with.. The PSI has gone down quite a bit.. and the holes are not large enough to make much of a difference.. To most of us.. the results are almost unmeasurable.. The movement of the shotgun is already well in motion.. You will reduce the "rocketing effect" directly in relationship to the amount of gas relieved by the porting.. which again is a miniscule amount.

I have shot barrels ported half way down the barrel.. with many times the holes we EDM here.. and have seen quite a difference in recoil.. 2 things have happened.. first.. alot more gas has exited.. and secondly.. the FPS of the shot charge was reduced.. That was combined with larger bore,long polished forcing cones,diamond lapped bores.. and long choketubes.. Yes.. there was a difference.. How long the barrel would stay straight was my concern.. The barrel was loud,dirty,and made a VERY noticeable flash at night time..

I designed a compensator many years ago that worked fantastic.. Many years later.. Kolar made a similar one for sale.. On a short barrel.. it really worked fantasic.. As the barrel got longer.. the results got smaller.. Which led me to believe.. the longer the gun is in motion.. the longer it takes to slow it down.. I believe that would hold true on any axis..

The Hastings "Metro" barrel is a good example..many holes to vent the gas.. but you're also hanging more weight on the barrel.. which reduces the acceleration rate of recoil.. thus reduced recoil as we know it..and postponing the exiting of shot..result in a complete burning of the powder..and reduced noise..

In my younger day.. I spent money on all the gymics you could do..Regretfully.. they all seemed to be a waste..unless you put them all together at the same time..(I did this on a MX3) (Ballistic Specialties did the work).. It DID shoot softer.. but barrel rise was never a problem.. so I can't say they fixed it by porting..

Most of the guns today come with larger bore barrels..so that's out the equasion. (not that its in the equasion at all..,but it seems to help) and some of the makers are going to longer forcing cones.. as card wads are no longer used today.. In today's enviroment.. I doubt if any apparent reduction in recoil would be the result of porting..

Now.. porting to many people I know.. has 1 function.. and 1 function only.. And that is to help strip the wad.. The larger the holes.. the better..There seems to be a belief in this concept..especially by Steve Baldwin who cuts some FANTASTIC long range chokes.. If its true or not..I can't say.. but his chokes he cut for me.. and he suggested ported chokes when I told him what I wanted... just flat WORK..

I think I've covered holes in the barrel pretty well.. The big one in the rear you put the shell in.. and the hole in the front the wad/shot/gas/exits..

All Good.. Mike
    [​IMG]

14. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I agree with Pat Ireland that quality porting does reduce muzzle jump. I have shot both ported and not ported and for me, I have a much faster and smoother move to my second target in doubles with my ported gun. ProPort has been around a long time and Top Line did mine on the gun I am shooting at present. Both companies use Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) to cut the ports. I have included a link to Top Line Porting.

I happen to like porting for doubles games and consider it worth the expense but as you can see from the responses here, opinions vary. I would suggest visiting the company websites, trying out a ported gun and doing more research before making a decision.

15. Sock Eating Golden

Sock Eating Golden TS Member

"Shot ported and unported barrels side by side for years and the only difference i have ever noticed is in noise. The ported barrels do more hearing damage than non-ported."

This is exactly correct. The only reason I shoot ported barrels is because they came to me that way. My Mossberg 500 and my Beretta XTrap both have it, and I hate is on both. It just makes them louder and harder and more time consuming to clean. BTW, my brothers Remington 870 express (non-ported) has less felt recoil.

Waste of money to have it done on a perfectly good barrel.

-Nick

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Before I got into clay shooting,

I hunted, birds and critters,

The guns I shot the best recoiled in a straight line, that is didn't kick up or down,

To this day those same shotguns serve me well at all types of shooting!

So if your gun is jumping around on the shot, get it fitted to YOU,

that is the MONEY well spent!

the only reason I have to pick up my head to see the result of a shot, "is the follow thru" took the gun where it got in the way.

Stop that "follow thru!" and my shooting goes to heck in a hand basket!

AL

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Pat has too much money to care. Porting a shotgun barrel should be a crime.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat also, that the porting will help you get to the 2nd target better as the reduced barrel jump will allow your right eye to find the target faster and better with less head lifting to do so. Now Porting is something I would not allow just anyone to do, but Briley is one of the ones I would have no problems with doing so. Porting the top barrel or second shooting barrel does little for your 3nd shot as there is none, but It will help you see if you broke your second target while allowing you to keep your head on the gun better and maybe help keep your head on the gun better for both shoots. This can help shooters, while some may never even know it. But then again you may never see better scores in the long run. Depending on the gun you plan to port it may also devalue the worth in some shooters eyes, while others may see it as a improvement. Do you have a problem lifting your head to much??? Think about it and make your own choice. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley porting cost