1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need auto mechanic advice for car problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 8, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I recently purchased a new car and my wife requested that I give my future daughter in law my old second car. It's a 2004 Toyota Corolla with 111,000 miles.

Recently, there is a noise (like a roaring or low exhaust type of noise) when I drive above 35 mph. It doesn't appear to be the transmission as the noise remains constant even when the transmission shifts gears. I do not believe that it is an exhaust noise as it only happens when the car is in motion.

If I remain in park and rev the engine the noise is not present. It sounds like an exhaust noise coming from underneath the car.

I took the car in and the mechanic I took the car to test drove the car and said since the noise doesn't differ with a change of engine rpm or shifts he would suspect maybe something like a wheel or hub bearing or even cupped tires. He said you would be amazed at the noise a cupped tire tread can make.

He checked for cupped tires and the tires he said were good, he said it doesn't seem to be a bearing either.

Anyone out there have any ideas on what the problem might be. I do not want to give the car to my future daughter in-law if there is a problem with the car.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Check all of the tin that's around your exhaust, some of it could be rusty and that could be whats making the noise.

Sounds like what my daughter's Toyota did.

3. senior smoke

Rick:
    Did that, as it looks good.
    Thanks,
    Steve

4. oz

oz Active Member

what kind of mechanic did you take it to? You might try a Toyota dealer as they probably have heard it before. sounds like a drive line noise (axle) or a brake rubbing problem.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Can you locate the noise with the windows open (e.g., front of car, rear of car, left rear wheel area)?

Could be a CV joint.

Does the noise change when the car turns? How about at low speed and turning the car does it make a noise - perhaps a 'clicking sound'

6. perezal

perezal Member

I think it might be the brakes, CV Joint or Hub Bearing. Dive with the windows open or past a person to see if they can hear the noise and from where it might come from?

7. senior smoke

oz:
    Took the car to my local mechanic's gas station that I've had for the past 30 years.
    Steve

HSLDS:
    The noise appears to be under the hood. No noise under 35mph, when turning the car left or right. I just made an appointment for Friday morning at the local Toyota dealership. I explained everything to the service writer. He will have his best mechanic test drive the car with me in it.

I told my wife I'm already tired of this. I told her we should just lease her a new car when she moves her from Stockholm. My wife said "may I remind you that your not Rockefeller"? I forgot about that part. She also said if you stop shooting than you can purchase her a new car. I've suddenly decided to just have this car fixed.
    Steve

8. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, I would say wheel bearing, you can usually tell by driving it around 30 mph and if the noise is present, try turning the wheel slightly in either direction, if the noise goes away it's more than likely a wheel bearing, by turning the wheel your subjecting the wheel bearing to a different angle and the noise goes away, I changed alot of them in my kid's car's when they were going to college.....Good Luck....

9. THEKIDFAN

THEKIDFAN Member

A couple things Exhaust typically is more of a ticking sound of sorts. When you say "low exhaust" do you mean low as in tone? Same noise with or without A/C on? You say the noise stays same when trans shifts is that under both hard acceleration as well as light throttle?

10. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

give what 9man said some serious consideration,the way my customers describe wheel bearings I think that is were you are going. Usually the front but sometimes rear.

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Loose baffle inside muffler

12. copper

copper Member

Shut car off going down hill see if noise is still there not exhaust or trans or any relate if still there throw in neutral does that change noise. does car have carrier bearing drive shaft going through a bearing some times after a ride take water hose spray on bearing see if steam or sizzle from one after short ride more than others getting hot will tell tail. Bearing will make noise just rolling , jack car grab tire top and bottom see if will rock spin any noise . With wheel bearing usually noise changes when turning taking pressure off and on depending right or left turn. Now disk brakes will steam after a ride if you put water on them so as I say look for some thing seems excessively hot the carrier bearing can be over looked and strange noise travels but if it will get real hot when going bad .

13. kettles kritter

kettles kritter Member

does you car have a air pump that is belt driven on the front low side of engine,it pumps air and exhaust maybe leaking

kettle

14. senior smoke

Cooper:
    Some good ideas I will try.
    Steve

Kettle:
    Not sure, will find out.
    Steve

15. cafowler

cafowler Member

I'm thinking same as 391Shooter. There is a catalytic converter, part of the smog system, that gets really hot to burn up all the excess exhaust gases before they can be spewed out the back and into the environment. These things get so hot they can start a grass fire if you park where brown/dead weeds are touching it from below the car. There are more than a few fires started in harvested rice fields by farmers who forget and park their truck in the field where the stubble is high and touching the CC from below. This unit will essentially burn-up from the inside, or rot out. As the pressure builds up at 35, maybe more exhaust gas is getting blown thru the unit so it makes a new noise. Lots of less than ethical garages will say you need to replace the whole exhaust system from the header to the tail pipe to be sure, when all it may need is a new CC. $300 instead of $1,000. If a car won't pass smog checks, same deal, 1st thing to change is the CC, instead of the $2,500 the Mechanic "recommends". Most mechanics are jobbers these days, almost like independant contractors within the shop they work at. They don't get paid by the hour, instead by the job, so there is a built-in incentive for them to find more "jobs" to be done on the car. One diagnosis doesn't work, leads to another, and another. Similar to churning in the securities industry, be careful.

16. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Steve- DO NOT shut off the car while under way! If you turn the key too far, you will lock the steering, and that is NEVER a good thing in a moving vehicle.

I am thinking U-joint, CV joint, drive shaft splines need greasing, or, as Eddie said, something loose, which only vibrates after a certain speed. It could also be the leaf spring bushings are worn out, and the vibration of the unsprung weight after 35 mph sets up a harmonic vibration through the frame.

17. Avatar

I would have said wheel bearing, but you say the mechanic ruled that out. I would keep taking the car to Toyota mechanics until one finds the problem. Someone must have experienced this before with your model car.

18. senior smoke

I am going to tell the mechanic some of these ideas if he can't find the problem.
    Thanks,
    Steve

19. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

it really sounds like a wheel bearing making noise, front wheel drive cars have a pressed in one piece wheel bearings, and will make a growling noise once you get going about 30 or more depending how bad the bearing is, and may get louder the faster you go. and in most cases will not have any in and out play when checking them. I have found like a couple others had mentioned. if you get driving in a open area with no one around (Like a empty parking lot), get to where you can here the noise and then turn a little sharp left for a sec and then right for a sec, keep doing this 3 or 4 times and see if the noise changes or even sometimes goes away for a moment while your swerving back and forth.

hope this helps find it
    Roger

20. Garyspringr

Garyspringr TS Member

Maybe a vacuum leak, I've had a vacuum hose come off and make a hellacious racket that I thought was a bearing