1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Approx Value of .308 Rifle

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Easystreet, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I'm thinking of selling a .308 rifle that has been sitting in my safe for a LOOOONG time with no usage and I need some idea what to ask for it.

It is a custom built rifle that was built about 1970. I THINK it has a Douglas barrel, a Santa Barbara mauser action, and a decent (but nothing outstanding) stock. It currently has a cheap 3x9 scope on it and also has a recoil pad. I had a front sight put on the barrel and even have a peep sight that can be installed on it (if I can find it). I think it's a 22" barrel, but I'd have to measure to be sure.

I bought the rifle in about 1972 and I was the third owner. The previous two owners bought and sold guns just to have something to do and talk about. I'm pretty sure that the rifle has less than 200 rounds through it. It's plenty accurate for deer hunting, but I wouldn't call it a tack driver.

I haven't shot it in over 10 years and really have no use for it. I'm thinking of taking it to a gun store nearby to sell on consignment for me. How much should I ask for it?

Easystreet

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

200-300

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

0   0   0

As in a custom car... you never get what you got into them back out of them. Unlike a Pre 64 Win Model 70 or Model 700 Rem custom shop gun, there is a blue book you can reference. Your gun, not so. The value is whatever the most you can get for it on the right day is.

Jeff

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Just depends on who you are going to market it to? The action is worth 250 dollars. The barrel is worth only how accurate the gun is. So many people who are not into Mausers enough to buy something built by somebody else with unknown gunsmithing and a barrel that is an unknown. Now... if it shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards? That gun is worth 650 bucks to the knowing crowd. It can be a tough sale. Cost to duplicate may be near 1500 to 1800 dollars but most guys would just as soon pay that and get it done their way.

GN7777777"s opinion is sadly not that far off. Jeff

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

This is where you want the small, local, friendly gun shop.

I have sold similar items and where the average gun shop will say the 200 ~ 300 dollar range this guy will go the distance for you.

Taken to the right shop - he will take the cheap scope off (better no scope than a cheap one - you can still sell the scope on its own). During a slow period at the shop he will spend some time cleaning/oiling the stock to make it look its finest, and also 'doll up' any nicks or rust to the metal.

A good shop will also try to prove if the barrel is truly a Douglas one or not (to some this will add to the value - better that it shoot well than have a name, but that's just MHO).

Also, he will study the serial number to see if it comes from a unique plant or time that could affect the value.

Put it on consignment, and be prepared to wait - at some point the right person will come in and think he has found the holy grail at one quarter the real value and snap it up. (I had this happen with a Russian rifle someone found in an attic - stock broken at the wrist - COVERED in rust. Took it to the shop and while we were discussing it a guy walks in, sees it, and asks what I wanted for it. I had no idea of value - long story made short - it was the ONE variation of the rifle he did not own. He snapped it up and went off as happy as could be with a restoration project for the coming winter.)

As an example this process gave the result of a Browning XS Feather shotgun (12 bore) selling for $1,250, not the $900 other shops offered.

Good luck.

6. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

It's probably worth more to you than it'll be worth to others. Put some pictures on here and maybe you'll get lucky.

In the end it is worth exactly what the guy with the cash is willing to give you.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.