1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need an unobtainable part made?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I needed a handle for a kitchen whisk (for whipping things) made so I contacted Brillion Pattern & Machine Co. (920) 756-3114 in Brillion, WI where I live (pop. 2300).

I asked questions as the owner was entering CAD information for a part someone wanted cast. I was told that a gun part that is flat on two sides could be made for somewhere around $200. The choice of steel is relatively simple, I guess.

It is something that many of you know about pattern and machine shops but it was new to me.

I gave him a proof copy of Stock Fitter's Bible since he shot trap and skeet and I didn't need the proof. There was no charge for the round, tapered handle with a hole drilled down the center for the whisk shaft that he made on on a lathe. It's beautiful and just what I had in mind. (He said he liked the book.)

Rollin

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Rollin, I live in Rockton, IL and my shop does a lot of work for Endries, located in Brillion.

tony

3. Rollin Oswald

Tony,

Endries is one of the many places I have yet to see. (Hell, I can't even find the Dairy Queen, which is supposed to be on US Highway 10 that runs through town.)

Rollin

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a copy of "Whisk repairing secrets" if interested.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tron that one has me crying. too funny

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Tron, I thought that one was out of print since Julia Child died.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The reason WHY you fellas can't find it is because it is out of publication. BUT, have no fear! It's been reissued as the "Whisk Repairman's Bible". It is pretty much the same material that Whisk repairing Secrets offered, with it's detailed information about the history of Whisks that date back to both the Mayans and Egyptians (there have been Whisk parts found in pyramids from both cultures). You'll be relieved to know details about fitting Whisks and some wonderful new illustrations in the updated version.

Tron

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

EE
    That was cruel.

No - it was very very cruel!

Don

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I got two copies of Tron's book "whisk repairing secrets" and kept one for myself...it's been a valuable tool as I attempt to repair my own whisks.

The other one?

I offered to sell that one to a local high school whisk team who are short on funds...

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Tron- I think that you plagiarized my book "Whisk repair for dummy's." I will have my attorney contact you in the very near future. If you are interested in opening the discussion for some type of settlement, please contact me ASAP. Sincerely Motordoctor.

11. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

you guys are un-freakin merciless,,,(and I love it)lol,,

12. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Made me smile, several times and I'm a grumpy person....tron that was great.

crab

13. BPSR

BPSR Member

I'm suprised no one's offered to sell Rollin a detailed map of "Dairy Queens Across America". Maybe I'm the only one with a copy left eh?

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Julia Child DIED??????????????????? WTF??!!! I can't go to work tomorrow...................

15. overbored

overbored Member

I have not laughed this hard in a long time. This has got to be "POST OF THE YEAR", Just proves you dont have to be a woman on this site to get picked on..

Nice job TRON

Overbored

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This is why I've been guiding my son towards a solid career as a machinist. He likes working with metal and machine tools. He's now a certified welder, and is taking general studies this year to get some classes out of the way so he can start a two-year machine tool technology course. He will be able to run lathes and milling machines, and do CNC work. He's also got a small machine shop started at home, with his own drill press and milling machine. I can do machining, and have my own equipment, but I'm not a machinist. That's why he's getting the training.

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Not to worry the eggs are on the way, the funds were hidden in the stimulus package!

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

Rollin,

If you ever manage to find that Dairy Queen...they'd probably give you a free Blizzard just to make you go away.

19. Rollin Oswald

Talk about Pandora's box...

I had a tough time deciding on a 7 1/2 or 8-inch handle and decided on 7 1/2 (maple).

Rollin

20. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Wow, after reading a few of these posts I flashed back to high school and the smart ass kid sitting beside me who just had to say something stupid every chance he got to get attention. The poor kid had some kind of self esteem/sexual inadequacy problem we found out later. Wonder what he grew up to be, a skeet shooter wishing to become a trap shooter or a oil change jockey\gunmechanic? LOL

Hang in there Rollin your fine book has helped me and lots of other people. It's a lot easier to trash others efforts than to accomplish something yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.