1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need an ID on this .38 round

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of Miscellaneous ammunition. Some of it dates back to WWII. I found this .38 Special round and it's unlike any i have seen before. I'm not saying it is WWII but it was in a bucket containing ammunition dating back that far.

It appears to be a regular .38 Special case. The bullet end contains what appears to be a waxed in red cardboard like filler. I was guessing it was some sort of blank round but just wanted some feedback from the experts here. Thanks.

The case head stamp reads:

.38 S&W spl and R W S
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have several of those in .32 and .38. They may be old tear gas cartridges. Never opened one up to find out.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

It might be a blank round or it might be filled with rat shot (about #11 shot). You could probably tell which it is by comparing the weight to an empty .39 Special case.

Or it might be something else. How does the weight compare to an empty case?

You might fill up an empty case with #9 shot and see what it weighs and compare.

Easystreet

4. grntitan

Brian,

That is exactly what my Grandpa said it was. He was the one who gave me the bucket of ammo. I thought he was just pulling my leg about it being Tear Gas. That definately makes me wonder now. I don't think it is a tiny shotshell as it doesn't rattle and it is very light weight.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I would say it's a tear gas round. My father was a Cook country Illinois policeman in the 1930's and I remember seeing them in his drawer with his break open 32 caliber S&W revolver.

6. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

One of the countries in Europe, Netherlands or Belgium maybe would require their police to load their revolvers with 2 or 3 teargas rounds and the rest of the cylinders with real bullet ammo. This was because the most common scenario back then before WW2 was relatively harmless drunks resisting arrest. They didn't have anything like pepper spray so they would pop a teargas round in the drunks direction. This would usually scare them into cooperating.

Terry M.

7. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Some of the early powder actuated anchoring guns, similiar to today's HILTI guns, used .38 caliber rounds. They're
    illegal now. Its been a long time since I've seen one, but this looks like it.

Thanks, Pat

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

They still load many blank rounds in Europe.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Walther_9mm_Blanks_For_Full_Semi_Auto_Pistols_50ct/672;jsessionid=362E1D3F93B7FD410D2613CBD6DF145F.app02

http://www.wadie-munition.de/mun-en.htm

Not 100% sure of the coding pattern but the color of the sealant should tell you what is inside. I do believe red means a tear gas like agent.

Some just go BANG, others shoot a flare or 'flash/bang' for bird control...

9. grntitan

Hey Thanks fellas. I guess Grandpa was serious this time. I just didn't think it looked like something that would contain Tear Gas. I guess I was wrong. It will be a great addition to my ammunition collection and a great conversation piece if nothing else.

Matt

10. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Grntitan, it looks like some of the blanks we used in trng exercises back in the mid sixties while I was stationed in Germany. The AF went to all .38's around the mid 50's as sidearms. Mostly I think because so many just couldn't master the .45. I thought it was a mistake then and still do, the 9mm is an easy weapon to fire but I seriouly question it's stopping power. Sorry for getting off topic, my thoughts and fingers got carried away. I still think it's a blank round.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.