1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need an engraver to engrave grandfathers name

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I met a nice young man out in Montana- his grandfather had passed away and left him a rifle

They used to hunt together--

He would like to have his grandfathers name engraved on the rifle.

He is in NE montana so someone close to that would help and this kid doesnt have much money

Would appreciate leads

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Gene,

I could do it for free if you covered shipping to and from me. It is done with a laser though, not a CNC engraver if that matters at all. I would need about two weeks turn around time to get to it though.

3. g7777777

Rich - nice offer- sent you a PM- I will try to get hold of him - could you PM me your phone number also and I will put him in direct contact with you

The shipping might be a problem from Montana to NY but lets see

How does that lazer engraving look by the way- not sure I have ever seen that

Gene

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good on you, Rich.

HM

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

Another option might be a local jeweler. Could be a bargain if the jeweler knew grand dad. Just a thought.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If your engraving the gun and not a grip cap look up bill mains. billmainsengraver.com

7. g7777777

It has to be inexpensive as the young man works haying and then guiding hunters in NE Montana

Somewhere around Ann Arbor Mich should work as well as he then goes back home

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

*I would assume that depending in the length of the name he might be looking at 50 to 100 for a proper job. Don't have the gun engraved by a laser5 or pantograph if the gun has any value or you might destroy the guns value.

9. g7777777

This gun is a Browning BLR in 308 He isnt concerned about value - just wants a good job and something to remember his grandfather by

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If its a belgium non japan gun it does have colector value! Call bill for a quote it won't be much the other option is to inlet an nickle oval inlaied to the stock and have his initials engraved i do that for $65 myself. Joe

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"How does that lazer engraving look by the way- not sure I have ever seen that "

It is almost like a computer printer. You put the firearm into the laser engraving machine, create the design as a vector image and then basically click "print".

Check out this video, it is basically the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT5m0YdxhjM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.