1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need an 870 forend wrench to buy or borrow

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dynokick189, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

If anyone has a forend wrench for an 870 they'd like to sell, or let me borrow for a few days, I'd like to hear from you.

If I can borrow it, I'll pay shipping both ways and probably use it for a day or two.

Remove x's from e-mail

Thanks,

Mike

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought one from Brownell's online catalog. $49 if I remember correctly. They also have a cheaper one.

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I made my own from a piece of copper conduit, using a hacksaw and a file. It took about five to ten minutes, and cost less than a buck. Just cut the tabs with the saw and file to fit the slots, use a vise grip to turn.

4. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Or just cut out a piece of sheet steel (12 ga. is OK) that is the right width and about 3" long and turn it with an adjustable spanner (cresent wrench).

On the really tight ones, you might want to spray a little penetration oil on the nut and let it soak in for an hour.

5. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

Thanks Jeff,
    Sent you an E-mail. Let me know when you send it cause it takes some time for mail to reach me.

Mike

6. skrap56

skrap56 Member

I made one from an aluminum tube 1 1/4 od with 1 3/16 id that I bought at local steel yard and cut with dremel and filed. Drilled hole and use a phillips scredriver to tighten. Make it long enough to tighten when fore end rods are in receiver. Steve

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The kitchen tool designed to open tight lids will often work on large nuts. The tool has a nylon band that can be squeezed tight with a ratchet system. Another type, designed to remove oil filters, can also work.

Pat Ireland

8. arrow

arrow Member

I make forend spanner out of old 870 slides.I cut of the arms. Grind it down to fit in the nut. Drill a hole for a rod. Works well and is strong enough for
    tight ones.
    I have a old slide I will send if you want to make your oun.
    e-mail me.

Bryan Pierce

9. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

I believe they are talking about the forearm iron inside the wood forearm. Requires a tool with two opposite tabs to engage the tension nut. Not the nut that retains the barrel via the magazine tube.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Southbend- I got mixed up on what nut they were talking about. Posts on this site do discuss several different nuts.

Pat Ireland

11. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Another nut from the peanut gallery: I did what Steve did, except used a piece of thick-wall gas pipe (1" ID) instead of his aluminum tube. His is much easier to make, as the OD of the gas pipe needed to be turned down a touch on the lathe (or could be ground on a grinder.) Even so, it's a half-hour job to make one, Mike, if you're so inclined. Just need a hack-saw & a vise. Phil E

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Midway's

20 bucks out the door

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=723227

Jeff

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

an old timer said that years ago, shooters took the metal piece that the bolt sits on top of. place it in the grove, and use a pliers for leverage. it works!
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.