1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need ammo recomendation HK SR 9

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigbore613, Aug 31, 2013.

1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Rifle guys, need ammo recomendations for an HK SR9. 308 Win. Not sure of the twist rate.Not going to hand load. Want to find something that shoots good and then buy several cases. Thanks, Jeff

2. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

In my experience HK rifles are very accurate;that said,all rifles seem to have an appetite for certain loads.Unless someone has an SR9 and can help you narrow it down you're going to have to do some testing.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I never saw a quality .308 rifle that would not shoot Hornady 168 grain, or Sierra bullet 168 grain loads from Black hills or of course 168 grain Federal Gold Medal match ammo. I run Remington Core lock 150 gr in my hunting .308. Not as accurate as match ammo, but is plenty accurate with a dependable hunting bullet. I have heard good things about the Hornady plastic tipped hunting ammo (Vmax), but haven't actually hunted with that ammo myself.

Good Luck

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

The Hornady V-Max are for Varmints. Hornady makes SST polymer tip loads for larger game.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Get headspace checked in your rifle, and set for that number less .002" (ex. rifle has 1.636" headspace, set shoulder of case to 1.634") with Redding Competition Shellholders used with RCBS FL die set.

Use bullets with cannelure, and Lee Factory Crimp Die. Trim brass to 2.005".

Load arm as a 7.62 NATO. No "Light Magnum" loads. I prefer 46 gr Accurate 2520 with a Hornady 150 gr FMJ-BT for plinking, 44.7 gr AA2520 Hornady 165 gr SPBT w/c for game. These loads are with Commercial Brass.

If you use Military 7.62 brass, use 43.5 with the 150 and 42.5 with the 165 gr pills.

This is a civilian arm with a military action and chamber. Load it as such.

They do tend to be accurate, but many Game bullets will run with the Match Kings in the accuracy dept.

I do not load bullets over 175 gr in a 7.62.

7. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Coach, Man said he was NOT going to reload.

OP. The HK 308 eats the 173 or 175 gn match ammo and spits it straight (sometimes) trigger pull is heavy as 11 pounds on unaltered samples. It has a 1 in 11 twist and the short bbl makes it less than a super accurate rifle. I prefer Federal, HSM, Blackhills, or Corbon with availability determining brand but Blackhills is the go-to Ammo for match shooters in my area.

Don T

Search tags for this page

hk sr9 best bullet

what bullet is best in a hk sr9