1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need advise on true oil finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 50-140, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50-140

50-140 TS Member

I have a small spot on my stock, which has a true oil finish, that seems to have the true oil worn off. The spot is where my face meets the stock. It is a very small spot. Can I just put a small amount of true oil on my finger and rub it on the spot WITHOUT first buffing the spot with steel wool?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

try it. wont hurt.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i wud get some clenzoil( black bottle)-- best stuff i ever seen for wood oil finish and metal as well!

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You do need to rough up the surrounding wood with a little 4-0 steel wool. Then apply the Tru-Oil in multiple thin coats. Make sure you drag a little onto the roughed up surfaces. After it dries you can use some polishing compound (I use the stuff for auto clear coats) and you will have an undetectable repair.

The exact thing happened to me recently and it came out perfectly. How long it will last until it wears down is undetermined but it wasn't a big deal to fix.

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The trick to Tru-Oil is to build it up in thin layers. Rub it in with your finger. Let it dry for a few days between layers. And use very fine (0000) steel wool to buff it. If you have to sand it, you put it on too thick. It takes me weeks to refinish a stock, but dang, the results are excellent if you take your time.

7. 50-140

50-140 TS Member

Brian: Do you need to buff each coat your put two or three coats on and then buff with 4oooo wool?

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It might be best to mix the true oil 50/50 with mineral spirits for the first 2 applications. This will allow it to penetrate into the wood and form a good base for the following coats of uncut true oil. Light buffing between coats is a good idea. Sometimes all that is necessary is alot of buffing with a soft cloth. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.