1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need advise gun kicking my face

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by little joe, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little joe

little joe TS Member

Just traded for a perazzi mx 2000. Ive had a few of these guns but this is the first one to kick up into my face. I think the stock has been changed its high enough in the comb area and its ajustable but looks like the older style stocks. It also has Jones ajuster. How do I check the angle pitch of the stock.

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

It may well be the pitch that is causing your "cheek slap" but it could be caused by a number of other things as well. What the pitch measure actually is, is unimportant. How it fits you is what matters.

To check if the pitch is right for you, notice what part of the recoil pad first makes contact with your shoulder as you mount the gun,. If it is the top (heel), the pitch is probably OK. If it is the bottom (toe) of the recoil pad, the pitch is inadequate and needs to be increased.

To add pitch, the stock can be re-cut or tapered spacers can be installed between the pad and stock with the thicker portion of the spacer at the top. Re-cutting shortens the stock slightly and adding tapered spacer(s) lengthens it.

The pitch is correct when the entire recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as you mount the gun.

Rollin

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

...or spend a few bucks and have the gun properly fitted to you.

4. Rollin Oswald

Rocker or convex-shaped pads may fit the shoulder pocket but they reduce the area of the pad that contacts the shoulder as was stated above. The center of the pad, the top of the "hump", is the point of greatest pressure during recoil. Because of the shape of convex pads and the fact that the hump is farther below the bore, barrel-rise during both phases of recoil, increases. It may not be noticeable but it is there and has the same effect as increasing the drop at the heel an inch or two.

Rocker pads also promote low gun mounts since they tend to fit better when they make contact with the shoulder below the collar bone. When this is the case, the head often has to be lowered farther to place the cheek on the comb. The drop at the heel can be increased but only at the cost of additional barrel rise.

This isn't to say that rocker pads are bad and should not be used. They offer the benefits of compensating for inadequate pitch as well as missing cast at the toe. For those reasons, rocker pads can be a tolerable quick-fix when shooters do not wish to consider having their stocks fitted.

Rollin

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You prob'ly need to increase the pitch.

John C. Saubak

6. southpark

southpark TS Member

Changing the pitch through numerous attempts with various combinations of pitch spacers did NOTHING for me getting kicked in the face.

The problem was the way my facial bones, neck, body build etc. conspired to require me, on most guns, to roll my face over the comb to shoot straight. This resulted in the comb being jambed up under my cheekbone in such a way that not only did I get my arse kicked on every shot but by eyes would be at a 45 degree angle.

The solution was to break down and spend the money for a custom fitted stock. In my case, a whole lot of, crazy amount of, cast off and toe out.

I've yet to get the finished stock for regular use, but in testing, the maker had it so I didn't feel a thing.

Amazing and worth every penny. I'll post a full review after I get the gun back.

7. vdt

vdt Active Member

Get Rollin's book the best i have every read ,that man nows his stuff i read it all the time better then maybe Playboy....vdt

8. Rollin Oswald

Jamie,

There are a number of good recoil pads on the market. The ones that first come to mind are made by Kick-Eez but there are others that are probably just as good.

Vdt,

Thank you for your great book review.

As an aside with your mention of Playboy, I am considering an R-rated version of the book. It would have shooters who were all members of the "scantily-clad, blond, cheerleader" population, with a redction of "clad" and an increase in "scantily".

Accompaning the book would be an X-rated DVD showing after-hours socialization activities of the blond shooters and the final degradation of the evening's activities if I can get the required permission from the cheerleaders' parents, which seems doubtful at this time.

Rollin

9. Rollin Oswald

Skip,

I have yet to be convinced that forcing-cone removal is all that beneficial. Recoil is reduced significantly but is accompanied by an equal reduction in shot column velocity.

Those to whom I have spoken who had it done, also complained that their shooting glasses were often blown off their faces because of the gases escaping from the large gap in the barrel just forward of the chamber.

Rollin

10. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

It sounds to me like the comb is too high. But maybe that makes too much sense.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Makes sense to me rodbuster.

All these guys going around with bloody cheeks? IMO it's caused by either insufficient pitch (gun pivoting in recoil at the toe) or cheek down too hard on the comb (insufficient cast-off at the face and/or insufficient drop at the comb).

John C. Saubak

12. Old Dr. Bill

Old Dr. Bill TS Member

Make sure the comb slants downward and away for your face.

13. bgf

bgf Active Member

A friend of my bought a Seitz and it bloodied his cheek something bad. He was at a shoot and asked one of the 'big dogs' to check out his mounting. The guy told him to lower and cant the front part of the comb away from his face just a little and...waa-laa...no more broken cheeks.

True story...
    Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.