1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dust, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dust

Dust TS Member

My 13 year old son would like to start shooting trap,,, I would like him to start with a over/under,,, any suggestions? buy older perazzi? older krieghof,,? help....

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If you have the money, knock yourself out. I'd start him with a bt 99 or rem 1100.

Nick

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dang wish you were my dad when i started shooting. LOL

If you want a good starter O/U and not break the bank, try to find a used Browning or a Beretta. The Browning BT 99's and BT 100's are also great Trap guns but are single barrels only.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Start him off with a gun he can handle and also something you won't mind modifying as the need arises. The BT99 is a top pick - excellent quality and durability. If/when your son gets into shooting doubles, look at the Browning XT or Beretta 682. Spend the money you saved over buying a P or K gun on ammo, targets and professional coaching.

If all goes well and your son is still into the game make the upgrade to a higher buck shotgun as a high school graduation present. By that time both you and he will have a better idea of what you want to spend your money on.

5. Trap4

Trap4 Member

For the price, I would go with a Browning XT Combo, would not go wrong ,

Trap-4

6. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

I am thirteen and have an mx10 combo yeah I didn't pay for it. My grandpa did and it is a great gun and built Ike a tank , shoots great too

7. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

5"4 110 pounds thirteen yrs old

8. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

Or maybe try a beretta 682 gold or an older 682 x or a 3901 just a thought

9. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I'd be hesitant to settle on an O/U w/o having him try a few guns first to see which *he* likes. Please consider having the gun professionally fitted. An XT that's fits your son well will be better than an K-80 that doesn't fit him. Your son may also grow so much in a single year that what fit at the start of the season no longer fits at the end. Shooting a gun that's a little long is better than shooting a gun that's too short, so you can work with your stock fitter to get something that might last a little longer by starting off a little long.

Getting the gun to fit, followed by good instruction can really help. Many clubs have outstanding junior programs with cheap or free targets, good instruction, and a peer group close to his own age with which he can shoot.

Having my 14-year-old son in a junior program at the local club has been a great experience for both of us.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Find him a nice Krieghoff Model 32 O/U. You can always add a top single or unsingle barrel later if he sticks with it. Worked for my son at age 10 1/2 and all of 80 lbs. 3 weeks after he started broke his first 25 and 1 year later his first 100 Singles. 4 ATA All-American teams later I figured it was a good choice. Stocks are readily available and all K-80 parts interchange. Great re-sale value too!!

11. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

A R.A.D pad is also nice because it can increase the receiver lenght and decrease too very nice investment in my opinion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.