1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Need advice re. fitting Jones Adjuster/Pad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ed Y, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

install, scribe, remove, band saw close to line, belt sand (#60) to line, belt sand (#180), to center of line, Belt sand (#320), polish with #7 auto compound, Buff with buffing wheel and re-install. Now fit pad to rear pad plate.

Ed Yanchok
  2. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

What Ed said is correct. You need to mount the device on a pad grinding jig so you can tilt it to match the line of the stock at the toe. Mount the device on the gun and scribe around the wood. Mount the device on the jig where the pad will mount. Finish as Ed describes.

Then mount the pad on the device and scribe a line on the pad. Mount the pad on the jig and grind the pad.

You need a band saw to remove the excess aluminum from the complete recoil device when it is sitting on the pad jig (the recoil device and the jig are rather tall).

Jim Skeel
  3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

All the work should be done off the stock. Here are some pics of the process.

Mount the plate on the stock and scribe a line:
    Scribeoutline.jpg

This is the line that was scribed:

ScribeLine.jpg

Remove plate and set the jig up for the proper toe angle:

SetAngle.jpg

If you can, mount the plate and the pad on the jig:
    PadMountedsmall.jpg

Note the washers used to keep the pad surface parallel to the jig. If you set the angle with the pad installed on the jig, you wouldn't need the washers.

My jig wouldn't let me mount the plate and the pad at the same time so, I just cut them square.

Band saw close to the line:

BandSawInitial.jpg

Now use your sander to sand right up to the line:

Glove.jpg

Before you start sanding, ensure your sander is square to the table:

SquareSander.jpg

Once the line is reached with the belt sander, I like to take the plate off and polish it up by hand:

EdgeSand.jpg

When it has the right look, mount it on the stock. If you did everything right, it will fit perfectly. Here it is after mounting and adjusting the pad for me:

FinishedProduct.jpg
  4. JACK

JACK Active Member

Nice job Ras
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.