1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on Trapgun for Son

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

My "kid" has rapidly outgrown the 391 Parallel target with a reduced length stock. The question is what to set him up with for this season. Options include:

Buying a longer stock or adding length to the 391 (but it only has a 28" barrel)

Buying a used BT-99

Buying a used Citori

I need a doubles gun and the Citori would help me out in that department! Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

BT99 is out. Cheap solution is a spacer for the stock or a new normal length stock. Bit more expensive way is the Citori O/U. Your choice, but I would get the O/U which can serve him for many years to come.

3. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I would contact Mike Battista and buy a new stock.

In a similar transaction I bought a "semi" used one of Mike's stock through another poster and recevied a great stock at a reasonable price (Thanks Danny from NC).

Here's Mike's email - miklbatt@gte.net

The 391 will shoot all the games (trap, skeet, and sporting) and not break the budget. If you want to break the budget, I'm sure the other posters will give you more input...we have one that will never leave the family while I'm alive.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

4. trap906

trap906 Member

have a graco adjustable pad with length of pull adjustment installed

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Buy him a nice break open O/U like a Citori and trash the auto-he's already outgrown lightweight semi-autos.

You can always do what I did for #1 son. Buy him a nice Model 32 Krieghoff O/U. You can always upgrade with an Unsingle or top single barrel if he desires. 2 1/2 weeks after I set #1 son up up his gun and he started Trapshooting and broke his first 25 and his first 100 the following year. 4 All-American teams later and weighing around 85 lbs. and I don't think it was a bad idea.

The next most logical move is to shop for a nice Browning BT-99 Plus-they're out there. Light recoil, great visibility, extremely reliable with great re-sale value. You can't go wrong with one of those.

No matter what you do enjoy the experience-it doesn't last forever!!

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

An O/U, either a Citori or Beretta 682

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Remington 1100 You can find a nice one for about $650.00

8. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Pick up a slip over recoil pad and let him try the longer length, if he shoots it well then either buy a new stock, swap or sell your youth stock right here on ts.com or get the gracoil adjustable length setup. Why go for the added expense of a hard recoil over/under which he may not shoot as well. Ditto for the barrel. Buy a used 30 inch and sell the 28 inch.

Ps went through the same with my little guy with a Wingmaster. He tried my 30 inch barrel and still shoots his 28 inch better. He is now 6 ft 5"!!!. He went from a cut down stock to a standard stock and now has 1 " spacer added to that.

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

buy a takeoff new set from coles for a lil over $200 or mike @ silver dollar--sell the RL stock set (to me) the out come wud be the same as adding a spacer-by the way, rl stocks have a smaller grip!!---trade your 28in for a 30in( i know a guy who wants to trade)---wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

10. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

I was in the same boat as you this year. But i outgrew my winchester 1400, I went with a 390 and my advice would be this. If guys have guns that he can try, ask them. If he is partial to a kind of gun, help him to keep with it. So i would say look at a Beretta 390 or a 391. Lengthen the stock or get a new stock and personally this is a must, get an end cap weight and get a stock weight. This is my personal experience.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Does he like shooting the 391? What scores is he shooting with the 391? If he likes the 391 and is shooting it well then upgrade the stock. HMB

12. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

Same situation with my son 3 years ago except he was shooting an 1187 field model with a Jack West stock. I bought him a used Citori XT. No more picking up shells or cleaning before doubles. He shoots trap, sporting, 5 stand, and skeet all with the same gun. Your son will probably enjoy the variety of the different shooting sports so choke tubes are a necessity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.