1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED ADVICE ON SHOOTING HANDICAP, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i went to lakeview gun club today. they had a 30 bird event, 15 targets at 16 yds and 15 targets from 24 yds. i ran the 15 16 yd targets, but i missed 3 of the handicap targets from 24 yds for a score of 27 out of 30. might hit a lewis, who knows? then i signed up for the Thanksgiving basket shoot, 25 16yd targets which i ran, then i shot the required 25 targets from 25 yds. i shot a 13 from 25 yds to give me a total of 38 out of 50. i am a 20 yd ata shooter. when i shoot at 25 yds, do i need a higher stock? i would touch the bottom of the target like when i shoot 16 yd, but i heard a lot of lost targets from the puller. at one time i was a 25 1/2 yd shooter, what am i doing wrong? at 20yds i do everything the same as when i shoot 16yd, and my scores are better. any ideas? i think these type of events don't really favor a 20 YD SHOOTER, BECAUSE I'M GOING BACK 5 YDS, AND A 27 YD SHOOTER IS MOVING UP 2 YDS. WHAT DO YOU THINK? should i just stick to winter events that are 16 yds and forget the handicap events?
    steve balistreri

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It seems your point of impact is too low.

Dr.longshot

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

co·nun·drum [ k? núndr?m ] (plural co·nun·drums)

noun

Definition:

1. something confusing: something that is puzzling or confusing

4. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Steve,

I would have to think that you are shooting under those longer yardage targets, but you would also have to take into consideration the timing of your shot, meaning are you riding those long yardage birds, or are you seeing the target and shooting the target just like the singles? The common rule for longer yardage is to add height to your comb, and to use a faster shell. Sometimes short yardage shooters forget some of the mechanics of long yardage shooting like, the hold height over traphouse and forgeting to swing instead of trying to cut the target off. If you are doing the same thing on long yardage as you are doing on singles, you are most likely under, and behind long yardage targets. Take somebody with you to the gun club and have them stand behind you on the (27)yard line and shoot 50-100 rounds, a good shooter will be able to see what you are doing...... good luck......

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Raise your comb, to counteract the effects of gravity. HMB

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Yes, the advantage is 27yd shooters to win. It is preferred that rules state shoot 25 yd minimum or ATA yardage whichever is greater. Still advantage long yardage shooters however the Lewis class payout spreads the reward but mostly luck of the dice and not skill. Shooting 25 yds often brings out the thought that one needs to really point them perfectly which slows the swing and check the bead. Shootem like 16s - with confidence.

7. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Stay in the gun. By this I mean after you pull the trigger, keep the swing going and watch the target break. I had a bad habit creep into my handicap shooting and found I was stopped my swing. You also might try holding lower on the house so you will better be able to see the target as it leaves.

8. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Senior Smoke

You may want to consider watching Phil Kiner's new trapshooting DVD. One of his suggestions as you move back in yardage is to raise the comb (and thus its POI) and lower the initial gun hold point. As you move back if you find that you have "gone blind" (Phil's words) then it's time to start raising the comb. Additionally, Kay Ohey has a good video called "Super Trapshooting" that shows the hold points for 1 and 2 eye shooters.

Good shooting

Gavin

9. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I agree with the Wanker - Slow down your swing as you don't have to move the gun nearly as much as when shooting from the 16. When I first started shooting from the 24 yd line I was in front of practically everything as I was moving the gun entirely too fast and too much.

After you perfect the slower swing concentrate on staying in the gun until after the target breaks. You will also probably need to raise your point of impact slightly in order to center the targets.

Have fun.

hubcap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.