1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED ADVICE ON PURCHASING A RELEASE TRIGGER!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have been shooting trap since 1970. when i first started shooting i would see some of the veteran shooters using release triggers. i would sometimes wonder how a person could not pull a trigger? i am now 57 years old and i recently started to flinch big time. a very good friend of mine will allow me to try his release trigger in my rem 870 this weekend. if i feel that the release will help me, i will purchase one for my gun. i use a 4 lb pull trigger in my 870. what should i look for when i purchase a release trigger? i want a release that is easy to set. i have heard stories that releases are dangerous, they break down alot etc, etc. what is a good company to purchase a release from? are all releases basically made the same from manufacturer to manufacturer? years ago a local gun club owner wrote in his quarterly newspaper that he sent to his members " if you need a release to shoot, maybe it's time you get out of the game". i hope that is not my case. this past weekend i shot our club championship. in the 16 yard, i had 38 out of 50, with 10 flinches that caused me to miss 10 targets. in the handicap, i shot a 37, missing 9 targets due to flinches. i flinched so hard on one hard left from staion 1, that i actually hurt my shoulder. when i flinch sometimes i can't pull the trigger until the target is way out, or my swing is so terrible because my forearm is jerking the gun down. any help would be appreciated.
    steve balistreri

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

A, only buy one from an experienced release builder, or buy a used one and hope it is in tune, again only an experienced builder Schwab, Timmeny, Spear Allem, Allor to name most of them.
    B, it is just one more thing to go wrong.
    C, a lot of people shoot releases, they usually have a "release" decal on them.
    they are no more dangerous than any loaded 12 ga. at close range, deadly!

3. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

John Thompson is giving you very good advice on going to an experienced release builder. I personally shoot a release in a Kolar and I am very comfortable with that system. Kolar builds a quality gun and triggers that I feel confident with. I shoot way higher scores and I just like it better. As far as safety goes, that is up to you so long as your gun and trigger are operating correctly. I would slowly introduce yourself to a release while practicing alone. Maybe get some help from an experienced release shooter as well. Keep that muzzle down range at all times. Also practice opening the gun after the trigger is pulled as you will need to do that if a trap breaks in the middle of a shoot to unload and not fire a round (bad). None of this is difficult is just means you need to always be thinking about what you are doing, no different than shooting a pull in that respect. If after all the practice with your release ask yourself if you can shoot this and be safe with it, and be totally honest with yourself. If you are not sure, then put the pull back in....don't risk anything.

Ok, the rest of you guys can beat me up now :eek:)

KK

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Find a used Timney or have Spears build you a new one. You'll be a happy man again!!

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, Here is what I think you might look into. First most flinches are not caused by recoil. Some are. I think that something has changed in your sight picture. Maybe your hold points are higher than normal? Maybe you are raising your gun to quick and BLOCKING your eyes view to the target in one of these ways. Maybe its time to have your eyes rechecked. If your mind is having a hard time finding the target for one reason or another it will cause this flinch. I am not saying that recoil may not be involed, but do need to find out why it just started to happen now. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Steve, in an 870 I prefer a Timney release. If you set the trigger and decide not to shoot it is easy to cancel and release the trigger safely without firing. Plus, the design of the trigger makes it near impossible to fire when setting the trigger

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.