1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need advice on over/under shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Daniel A, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel A

Daniel A TS Member

Hello everyone,
    I am in the market to purchase an over under shotgun for shooting trap and skeet. I shoot about 300 rounds at the most per month. Nothing serious. I dont have the time or money to shoot 1000 rounds a month and probably never will. I enjoy the sport for what its worth; a chance to get out from my busy schedule and enjoy shooting for a couple hours. I shoot with an old Ithica Model 37 now, but I am left handed so its tougher for me to load easily. Its awkward, and I want an over under anyway.
    That being said, I have been looking at over unders and noticed they range from the $400 Stoeger to the $10,000 Guerini (and even more expensive). I dont have a bunch of money. I have been told by a couple well respected gunsmiths that when it comes to over unders, the majority of what increases the price is the showmanship of the gun; the quality of wood and craftsmanship. I have been told numerous times now that the working parts of a break-open $400 gun are just about the same as a $3000 gun. Should I wait and save my money and buy a $1200 gun or just go with a Stoeger Condor or comperable entry level gun?
    Thank you for your time,
    Daniel

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Keep your eyes open and be patient watch for a Browning Citori to come up for sale. Give or take a hundred you should be able to find one for around $700. Mike.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

"I have been told numerous times now that the working parts of a break-open $400 gun are just about the same as a $3000 gun." Whoever told you this has lost all credibilty. Look somewhere else for advice. Browning or Beretta with screw in chokes. Don't waste your money on anything less for what you want to do. Mark

4. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

What oregunner says is good advice. I have a stoeger just for brush hunting. It will not I repeat will not hold up to the kind of rounds that go threw a trap gun.Ask around at the club lots of used guns in safes that are for sale.

Mark

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A Browning/Miroku

6. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Being a lefty makes it harder. I agree that a Browning, Beretta, or maybe even an SKB with screw in chokes would be the way to go. Most of these guns are cast for a right hand shooter, so it would be highly desirable to handle and shoot it before you buy. An adjustable butt and comb could help.

Now for my story. I bought a beretta 682 new back in 1996 and sent it to Beretta in Maryland to have to wood swapped out for left handed. (I'm a lefty too). I shoot trap, skeet, sporting, doves and pheasants with this gun. I paid a bit more than you are talking about even back then, but I believe I could sell it for at least 80% of what I paid for it now. It sure has been a good gun and a pleasure to own.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Being a lefty isn't an obstacle when it comes to trap guns. You can find many good guns on the used market that are stocked for a left handed shooter. This usually means the stock has cast on - or as you look down the stock it will appear to be bent off to the left of the axis of the bore.

Look for a Beretta 682x or a Browning XT or Browning Citori. When you find one it will be in the $1,500 to $2K price range but it will likely hold that value for as long as you own it. Not a real investment but you aren't going to loose on it either.

The other thing you will find out is that Trap and Skeet guns are completely different animals and this has to do with where they are set up to shoot (POI) So you really ned to decide which game the gun is primarily going to be used for.

And a ditto on the $400 Stoeger being the mechanical equal of these guns - it isn't and it won't go the distance. Don't waste your money.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Being a lefty I've found most older Brownings are neutral.

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Daniel:

Read Wolfram's note carefully. After you've read it, read it again.

Year after year the best value in O/U target shotguns is Brownings and Beretta's. Save some money by purchasing a decent used gun and you're good to go.

If the price means you need to save up a while, stick with your '37 until you have enough.

Good luck and good shooting.

sissy

PS: Stoeger's simply aren't made for any volume of shooting.

10. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

If it's worth anything My good freind went the route and bought the Stoeger Condor competition. He won last years Spring Team event in Mason Michigan with it.(first time at an ATA event) BUT he is not shooting it anymore because it did not hold up to the volume shooting. He shot it well, but it didn't last long. 1 year and the mechanics of the gun are about wore out. He will be the first to tell you to buy a decent gun. Good luck

11. Daniel A

Daniel A TS Member

Thank you everyone for the good advice. I think I will keep saving my money and be patient. The two websites I have been searching for over unders on are: ableammo dot com and guns america. Any other good sites to potentially find a good deal on a Browning or Beretta on?

Daniel

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

On here (www.trapshooters.com) in the For Sale section

www.gunbroker.com

www.joeletchenguns.com

www.shotgunworld.com, classified forum

check at local gunclubs

13. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Find a good used left hand Browning Citori, that way someone else already took the new price hit.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I bought my last 682 combo used but in excellent condition from Jaqua's. The price was about 1/2 of the MSRP of a new gun of the same model. The deal went smooth as silk.

Check their showroom at jaquas.com,

15. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

Don't buy a Stoeger Condor, that was the worst gun I have every owned. I shoot a Browning Citori now, so far so good.

16. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Do a search on this site for LH 682 for sale and you'll find a nice one thats still for sale. JW

17. ky4some

ky4some Member

www.gunbroker.com is also an excellent on-line source for used guns.

Mike Kamer

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

As said, keep looking for a Browning, a SKB, Or a Winchester Select Energy as well. Ask around "ALL" your local clubs and try the guns first, for a round or two. Always use factory ammo on any gun you borrow. Always try to shoot the same make and model before you buy one off the internet without ever shooting that type of gun. Good Luck and break em all JEff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

over under shotguns

used browning shotguns for sale over and under