1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on lens color.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bt100ed, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bt100ed

bt100ed TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have developed diabetic degeneration in both eyes and I'm having major problems seeing the targets. I'm receiving steroid injections in both eyes. I can't see the targets in daylight or at night. Any of you know of any lens color that will help me see targets?
    I have Decot frames now.
    ED

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

At age 73 I still have sharp vision with RX glasses but floaters are driving me nuts. I get my best scores with Vermillion lenses because they drown out the floaters a little bit where bright backgrounds make them seem worse. Good Luck to you - I hope you find a solution.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I have found that non-traditional color choices often work well for me. You hear a lot of Vermillion, Target Orange, Yellow as the standard colors a lot of people shoot. I carry the Decot "Blue Ice" color which is in my frames quite a bit. The color makes the background have more contrast against the target, whether it is a green or an orange target. A few days ago I ended up with a light grey lens, which served the same purpose.

For some reason, I don't do well with yellow or orange lenses. While they do make the target stand out, they tend to wash into the background too much for me. It may be different in places that have an all green background. Where I shoot it is mostly brown and sky backgrounds, or mountains in the distance, like Redlands.

Have you tried the CMT lens? Those also worked well for me, but the coating cracked prematurely on my set.

Last, Susie Gray at Gray's shotgun cache has a color they call Ruby, that is a grey/red combination. I use them in my daily sunglasses and it is a fabulous color.

Good luck!

4. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

What color lens works for Green targets? Thanks...Bill

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The normal answer is Blue lenses for green targets...that is how I ended up with a set. Then I found that they worked well in other situations too!

6. Capt.Ron/FL

Capt.Ron/FL Member

Also purple will work well for lime green targets...Depth of background can be a issue, but overall will give good contrast..

Arrggh..

Capt. Ron

7. bt100ed

Thanks for the input. I really need help for orange targets under the lights.
    ED

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Ask to speak with Wayne at Morgan Optical. I suspect he will recommend Vermillion in a light tint for orange targets under lights. A medium or dark tint works extremely well for daytime orange.

Robert

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I and my guys have trusted Wayne for more than ten (10) years... what was your discussion with your ophthalmologist... what did they suggest?

Jay

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The gray/red combo is called "Target Sun" by some other vendors, and it is the best all around daylight lens.

I use light gold at night and orange in overcast light sometimes.

HM

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ed, everyone sees colors a little differently. Since we are in the middle of big shoot season, go to your, or a nearby State shoot and try out the colors. Most docs have sample lenses you can take down to the line to try. Some have sticks that have 10 colors each on them.

Once you find a color or colors that work for you, talk to the doc. Explain your problem and listen to the advice. I'll also tell you that polarization can make a huge difference to the effectiveness of a color, as can AR coating. Having used both, I prefer normal, linear polarization over circular polarization. While circular does work, it can change the color and/or contrast of the target at certain times of the day, or even based on which direction the target is going.

12. bt100ed

I called Wayne at Morgan Optical and we are working on a proper tint.
    Great guy.
    Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.