1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on getting a tube set.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Bopper, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I am planning on having Briley install a set of tubes in my K-80. Are most folks getting an extra carrier barrel and having tubes installed in it? If you had them installed in your primary barrel set, you would have a weight differential between the 12 ga and the small bores. Correct? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thats the idea- you save the differential

You are wrong about "most folks" - my guess is only 1 or 2 out of a hundred get a carrier barrel

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Advise on buying a tube set. Don't.

jim brown

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

I kind of agree with Mr Brown. In the last 2 weeks I have seen 3 shooters have problems with tube sets.

One shooter had a 28ga tube in and the shell jammed upon closing to the point where it crimped back the base to point of almost not being able to be removed on the skeet field.

Another shooter had a 20ga shell so jammed packed in the tube after shooting that they had to pound/beat shell out of the tube after beating the tube from the barrel. I honest dont see how they did not damage the tube.

The third had extraction problems beyond the point of frustration. He pulled the tubes and shot 12ga.

BTW ... all the tube sets were Briley. I have been thinking about getting a tube set before but have now totally reconsidered the option. I would rather spend the cash to get an actual gun than take the chance at the problems I have witnessed.

I will say I shoot skeet with a friend who uses tubes quite often and has never had a major problem. Is he a lucky one or were the others the unlucky ones? Only the shotgun gods know ... only the shotgun gods know.

5. Gasman

Gasman TS Member

When you use tube sets, ONLY use reloads of Win AA or Remington STS, or others made with brass. Cheap shells often have steel heads, which do not expand in the same manner as brass. In fact, some tube set makers tell you to only use premium reloads with brass heads. I've probably shot 100K reloads through tube sets with no issues, as long as shells with brass were used. Steel shells have had issues every time I tried them.

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

gassman, what you going to do when there aren't any brass based shells available?

jim brown

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Spend the carrier barrel money on a gas gun. Fatigue factor and recoil. I see many 12 guage shootoffs won with gas guns.

HM

8. billn

billn Member

I have had a set of tubes for my Beretta Gold E skeet for about two years now, only minor problems that was corrected by Briley, I also have the barrel weight for when I use the 12 gauge. I found Briley easy to work with. I usually shoot the 410 for skeet, and so far I haven't had any trouble with any shells. I mainly use AA or Remington shells with the brass. I have shot several rounds thru each tube set and never had any problems. I guess I am lucky?

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I have used both Briley and Kolar tube sets - shot thousands of shells with no problems. Currently have a set of Briley "Matched Weight" tubes in my Beretta 682. Gasman is right about only using Rem or Win hulls - no steel. I bought an extra set of 12 ga. barrels which I use for 12 ga. & doubles - about the same price as buying an extra "gas gun". Transitioning to a "gas gun" after shooting your tube set is somewhat of a problem. When using my extra 12 ga. barrels, I tried weighting them to achieve the same weight as the barrels with tubes in them, but did not like dealing with installing/removing the weights plus did not like tightening the weight against the barrel walls. So, just adjusted my swing with the 12 ga. shooting - no problem - and using light 12 ga. loads. You can get buy without the extra barrels, just clean your barrels well before inserting/using your tubes - one of the All American skeet shooters does this. Best Regards, Ed

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Buy a Gas gun for the 12 GA and go with Kolar tubes, I have been shooting the same set of Kolar tubes since 1992 with no problems or malfunctions. I shoot a A390ST for the 12 Gauge, all of the top Skeet shooters for the most part shoot a GAS gun in the 12 Gauge.

Ronbo

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Micheal ... most difficult 5" in any shotgun sport? What if your one of those with a larger than normal head? For them could it be the most difficult 9" in any shotgun sport?

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Many skeeters use the gas gun as halfmile says but there are a significant number that also just shoot 20 ga. for 12 and 20. Then, the issue of different weight between the .410, 28, and 20 set ups with tubes can be answered like this: I have a buddy with a Browning O/U with Briley tubes. He agonized over the difference in weight between the small gauges after weighing the individual tubes. But a dazzling flash of light came to him and when he included the shells for the appropriate tubes in the weighing process and suddenly all three tubes + shells weighed the same. Now, adding tubes to the 12 ga. certainly will add a bit of weight to the otherwise 12 ga. barrel even with shells in it. I like the 20 ga. or gas gun for 12 ga. events then go to the tubed gun for the small gauges.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Edit: BTW, I shoot skeet socially and just stick with the 12 ga. for all my "practice" but I was surrounded by really fine skeet shooters before that club got closed by the city and the trouble frequency with tube sets was basically nill with Briley and Kolar sets in Berettas, K-80s, Perazzis, Brownings, Rem 3200s, and many true high dollar beauties....BD

13. Cedar Valley

Cedar Valley TS Member

P3AT,

I have a question about your quote,"I've found that if you double clutch the ejectors(close and re-open while empty) that you will NEVER snag the brass and roll it when closing."

This is not an arguement, only a question. What difference does it make? I have a Kolar and have ocassonally snagged the brass as you have said. I noticed it more often on the 28 g AAHs hulls which have a shorter brass.

I will give it a try, but would be intersted to hear "why" it works.

Thanks,

Steve Malcolm

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Pat's right, several of my ol' skeeters habitually removed shells, held the opening lever open, closed the breech and re-opened leaving the ejectors in the extract position before re-loading the gun for the next shot(s). Were it me, I'd disable the ejectors in this situation....breakemall....Bob Dodd

15. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I am sure this works on Brownings, K-guns, and others, but I don't think this works on Berettas...at least it did not on my 682, but wish it did. Thanks, Ed

16. tj303

tj303 Member

Depends on how seriously you take your skeet shooting. A matched weight two barrel set (one with tubes)is the ultimate skeet shooting machine. Last I knew Todd Bender, one of the all-time best(over 34 400x400), was shooting a 32" "heavy barrel" set. That is the regular barrel w/tubes and a 'heavy' skeet barrel. Using STS or AA hulls I never have had a problem with stuck hulls. It is interesting to note that many All-Americans have higher averages in the 20g than the 12g. Tony J, member ATA and NSSA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.