1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need advice on extend choke tubes beretta 686 onyx

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by binny, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binny

binny TS Member

i just purchased a used beretta 686 onyx with 26 1/2 in.barrels.i went to the sportsmans club yesterday to an open skeet shoot and some guys were telling me i should invest in some extended choke tubes i believe it takes mobile choke style.i am obviously a rookie and enjoyed shooting this shotgun yesturday and would like to get proficiant at this,so ur advice would be greatly appriciated,.
    p.s. my first round i shot 16 for 25 and second round 18 for 25,first time ever at club.i have shot clay pidg in back yard with hand thrower but never from trap.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

First thing you need to do is pull out the ones you have and see what you have got, type and constriction. Correct constriction for each game is more important than getting extended chokes. See link above. You need open chokes for skeet. (either skeet chokes, or cylinder, or IC) Have fun with that new gun. Mark

See also the following link on Shotgunworld.com

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=73495

3. binny

binny TS Member

they say m,ic.thanks now what do i need,binny

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

Carlson's makes some nice tubes and they are less than 35 each for my browning

choketube.com (the "sporting clay" tubes are for all clay games)

If you're just shooting skeet a pair of skeet chokes should do it or maybe 1 skeet and 1 improved cylinder.

skeet is usually .005 and IC is usually .010 constrictions

5. binny

binny TS Member

im sorry the one has 4 notches and the other has no notches,my buddy tells me they r mod and ic.the one without notches is more open, thinner.thanks binny

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

4 notches is IC. No notches can be a variety of things. You need to pull them out. Use a choke wrench or a quarter. There is more information on the outside of the body of the chokes. See toward the bottom of the link I posted above from Beretta. Mark

7. binny

binny TS Member

how big of a diff does it make,extended tubes,also there is no writing on my choke tubes at all that i can see.i am trying to educate myself before buying anything,obviouslly i want to buy the tubes that will improve my guns potential along with my improvement.i will also be hunting with this gun,waterfowl and upland birds,rabit.any and all advice is appreciatted and i will look at choke tube offers,thanks binny

8. binny

binny TS Member

how much do those brileys extend

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

binny,

There's no conclusive evidence that extended choke tubes pattern any better than flush choke tubes.

They're just easier to get in and out, and they look cool. Period.

And they cost more.

Why do they cost more? Because there's more metal and more machining involved in making one.

Choke tubes aren't magic.

10. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Carlson or Briley are good choices. All extended tubes for me.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You don't need extended tubes. They are nice for installing and removing.

You probably have Mobil Chokes, and Beretta has extended ones on sale for $12.00, and flush for $10.00. Click the link.

The choke with no notches is a skeet choke, and can be a USA constriction, or a very large .730" Euro.

Wayne

12. binny

binny TS Member

thank you for all of the good advice,i was thinking the extendeds were a must because i have a 26 1/2 in barrell and a few of the shooters made mention of that.i would like to buy chokes that i will also hunt with so for waterfowl they need to be able to shoot steelshot
    thanks binny.

13. BD457

BD457 Member

I use extended chokes, but only for the reason of protecting the end of my barrel. Okay..... okay...... They look cool too, but I think the best reason is so the barrel doesn't fall victem to my stupidity. I use the factory Beretta Victory tubes.

Mike

14. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I have a set of Briley extended chokes that I use for clays and hunting in my 686. I like them a lot but they are expensive.

Your money is probably better spent on lessons than chokes, IMHO.

15. binny

binny TS Member

money has never been the issue,dont know where that came from

16. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Binny,

Go to www.blackbore.com and check out their offerings. I've been using a pair of IC & IM for a few months now and I'm quite pleased with them.

Bob M.

17. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Jeez, why don't they have those $12 chokes for a 20ga? I'd snap them up in a heartbeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 686 choke tubes

beretta 686 onyx choke tubes

beretta 686 onyx chokes

beretta 686 onyx skeet chokes

beretta onyx choke tubes

extended chokes for beretta 686

extended chokes to improve patterns with my beretta 686
photo of beretta 686 onyx choke tubes