1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Need Advice on Cell Phone!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

My cell phone gave out, it was OLD and big as a breadbox. All I want is something to call home on when I need to. I never leave it on for messages. I don't want or need a camera, TV or computer, just something very basic. Or, do they even make simple phones anymore? Best place to look?

Thanks,

BB

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

BB..... I just went through the same situation myself. After a lot of research, and a few "wasted" dollars on inferior phones, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Motorola Razr phone. While there are some phones out there that work pretty good, I've yet to find a cell phone that works as well as a Motorola. Had them in my truck for years and NEVER a problem with them. Have had Nokia, LG, and a host of others, and they are all junk when compared to a Motorola..... Just my recent experience........ Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Juno

Juno TS Member

Find out the phones your carrier utilizes. If you purchase a phone that lets say is from verizon, it won't work for instance with T-mobile. Then, you can find the cheapest or best phone for your dollar.

Juno

5. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Motorola makes very good phones but Razors are not one of them, they are trouble prone. Everyone I know that had one also had trouble. Try another model in the motorola line.

Not trying to knock you Dan.You and I have talked at length about Kolars a long time ago.I respect you but do not agree on the Razor.Hope you have better luck.

6. Juno

Juno TS Member

Stop talkin about razors dammit, you're confusin blue. He's lookin for a phone and you're talkin about razors. He said he wants something simple. Basic. Not a flip phone.

7. Robb

Robb Member

The Motorola V365 works well for me. Twice the battery time as all others that I could find to compare.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Booger Blue I put the link for tracfone above. I just bought my wife a Motorola W376g(her phone crapped out)this phone has some of the bells and whistles they are there that doesn't you have to use them. One feature it does have is double minutes for life.

With a tracfone you pay as you go. it figures to just over $6.50 a month because you have to by minutes every 3 month whether you need them or not. With the double minutes it doubles the minutes and the time.

I bought my wife's in July I bought a 60 minute card an entered it into her phone and it gave her 120 minute and I don't have to put minutes on until January.

Anyway if you check out the sight you may also find better deals I know they have one phone for $10. Also no service contract if you decide not to keep using the tracfone you just don't put minutes on by the deadline and the phone becomes inactive nothing to pay. You can buy minutes at Wal-Mart or a lot of convenience stores and online.

Bob Lawless

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought a Blackberry World Edition before I went to Europe last spring....BIG MISTAKE!!.....more phone than I'll ever need...anyway, I went back to my LG basic phone. Simple and works all the time...

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Checked with T-Mobile that has a pay-as-you-go plan and they have great ratings on the internet sources that rate cell phone service. Who provides Trac Fone service. We have been with Sprint - live 4 miles from their "world" headquarters in Overland Park, KS and the coverage area is PITIFUL. My son lives 5 miles from the Sprint HQ and has to walk from his house out into the street to get a signal. What coverage/service does Trac Fone have? Regards, Ed

11. gotbass

gotbass Member

have a Razor and verizon. Here in northern california verizon has the best coverage phone is two years old and no problem. I don't know anyone who has been really happy with AT&T. No, I don't work for any phone co. Mike

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Have 4 razors in my family and pretty good luck with them. They are used a lot with very few problems. Also agree that the V365's are good as well. Stay away from PDA's. Waste of money for what you want. Don't be so quick to dismiss the camera option. Never know when it might come in handy.

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I see a lot of kudo's on here for TracFone and Motorolla. I beg to differ on both issues. I have had both the Motorolla and Nokia versions with TracFone and find them both to be crap. Poor connections 100 percent of the time with TracFone and taking a trip through Wy, Id and Mt neither would work at all. I threw both in the trash while still having over 300 mins on each. A friend has AT&T and I couldn't believe how clear it was and it had plenty of volume to hear over road noise, which TracFone did not. JMHO!

Buz

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I use a cell phone as you do. Very limited, but when I do I want a signal. I have used several and found that Net10 treats me well. I have yet to have found an area from Wisconsin to Arkansas where I can't get a strong signal. I pay 10 cents a minute and am very satisfied. My initial investment was $30. This included the phone and 300 minutes of call time. This means I received the phone free! Try it. Ed

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Just took my 2-week old Motorola V9 Razr back for a different phone. Had problems with the "8" key not working periodically and the battery would run down in less than a day. My daughter said she had the same battery problems with her earlier Razr and key problems.

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My nephew is on his third or fourth razor. Don't remember what kind of problems he had. Jackie B.

17. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Just replaced my phone 10 days ago. S1 by Sanyo. No camera, music. Does have speaker, bluetooth. Will carry a charge for 2-3 days with a couple calls per day. BTW this is a Sprint version and it was the only phone that DID NOT have camera / music.

Scott

18. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

If you are a AAA member they offer a decent deal that I am on with no contract,

free phone @ $30.00 per month I had the service and phone for about 8 mos.

no issuse

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Thanks for your help, everyone. Your comments have given me several options to choose from.

Thank you.

BB

20. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Having been down this road on prepaid phones, TMobile is best bang for the buck. They are offering the Motorola v195 for $29.95..excellent phone (visit www.cnet.com for phone ratings), it's the most dependable phone I have used (have 3 now that some part-time reps use). Excellent voice quality, speakerphone, LONG battery life, and T Mobile's rates run .10 cents a minute and when your purchase reaches $100. you get additional 30% increase in minutes. Easy to fill too...pain in the rear with TracFone (poor coverage too in N. Ca.) and NO customer service. Good luck.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.