1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on Beretta 686

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. D, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Hi everyone

I’m new to the sport of trapshooting and would like some advice on my current gun. I picked up a used Beretta S686 Essential with 28” barrel that is in very good condition with little use and I really like the feel and weight of this gun. Several old timers that I have talked to say I need to get the gun fitted to me if I want to improve my score and continue to grow into this sport which I enjoy and plan on sticking with. I’m currently shooting consistently in the 17-20 range with more 18’s than 20’s.

Looking on the net I’m seeing prices in the $260 range to have a 4-way adjustable comb added to my stock, $250 for an adjustable LOP plate w/ kick Eez pad and about $60 or so to have my forearm refinished to match the re-worked stock.

So were talking upwards of $500 - $600 for stock rework plus $750 gun cost = $1,350

IF I wanted to add a 30” unsingle barrel that would add $????. Can I even buy this barrel?

Like I said above I really like the gun, should I put the additional money in it or use it as is?

2. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I will jump in even though I am no expert.
    I would not spend all the money to cut and change the stock until I had a true fitting done by someone who know what they are doing. THEN let them tell you what adjustments need to be made.

As far as the barrels go, I can't help you as I am looking for a 34" unsingle for my Beretta 682 myself....

good luck

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

a 34" unsingle barrel with adjustable rib will run $1600 new, you will be lucky if you can find a used one for $1300 to $1400.

the 686 receiver is as good as any other 680 series receiver that Beretta makes (I shoot one and like the scroll pattern better than the game scene engraving on the 687).

I would go with the adjustable comb, and shoot the gun like it is, you can change quite a bit with the comb.

If you decide to stick with the sport, either buy the barrel you want, or purchase another gun that already has all the bells and whistles, and then have the stock fit.

I see so many people jump in trap shooting and buy all the wrong things before they figure out what they really need.

good luck!!

tony

4. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Big John
    Thanks for the feedback, I agree with not putting out any money until I have a true fitting done and know what I need or don't need.

Ken
    I won't be throwing down $1,300 for a barrel so I guess my thinking was on track with just the stock work and shoot the stock 28" barrel which is OK with me.

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

You can keep an eye out for used Mobil or fixed Choked single barrels in 32" or 34". These will often sell for less than a $1,000. The problem is most of them often have a higher rib than your 686. If you have an adjustable stock you can find washer(s) to set the different comb heights needed with the o/u and single barrel. The best find will be an older 682 or even 680 unsingle, I have seen these with flat ribs. Check out any advertisers that offer Beretta barrels for sale in the Trap & Field magazine and get their web addresses to check them often.

All 68x barrels will fit on your action. That said, there may need to be a little tweaking with the fit by a gunsmith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.