1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on back problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by snapthecat, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Need opinions of those who have had decompression therapy for crushed herniated disc. Such as -Did it work?
    How many sessions did it take to get relief?
    is it worth $4800 up front money?
    Thanks

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Stay away from any business that wants up front money. This indicates, in my opinion one of the following, 1) they want to be in control--not you, they have no credit & are cash or credit poor, they are not sanctioned by real medical insurers.

I asked about their services from one of my physical therapists---he said its an insurance scam, get an inversion table.

Phil Berkowitz

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have had back problems all of my adult life and the answer to all of your questions is NO, except for how long before you get relief ... I had some injections that helped for short while but they were not worth the pain it took to get them ... See a good Sports Physical therapist and ask them for help, they can find exercises that will help you get some relief and you can control the residual pain with over the counter pain relief meds from there ... The decompression therapy was a joke and after several conversations (arguements) the charges were dropped and the bill was marked paid because I was given a guarantee that it would work, and it didn't do any good at all ... I was told I could get 5 free trial visits but had to pay up front for the sessions before they would start giving the free sessions, which by the way was $5,000 but was guaranteed to work, they didn't ... I had them set it up on time payments in case it didn't work they wouldn't have all of my front money ... I got a full refund for what I did pay once I started going in there 3 or 4 days a week and stating my case in front of other potential customers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Vickie

Vickie Member

I saw an ad in the newspaper for this same thing. My husband, Tom, has back problems and it had been getting worse. We decided to go to the "free" consultation, watched the video, the Dr. looked at his MRI, said he was a good candidate for his treatment. Then we got to the money. He recommended 25 treatments, if you pay as you go $210 each, pay up front $3,000 something and then you could finance it for a little more.

I thought it would work and was ready to go ahead, but Tom told him that we wanted to think about it. WOW! The Dr. got upset. Started shoving papers in files, gave back his MRI, stood up and said that only 3% of the people that told him that ever came back. I figured they never came back because of the way he acted. Terrible.

We came home, did a little research and found a chiropractor that would do this same thing for $55 a treatment, but the machine was not computerized. He has taken 10 treatments, seems to be better, but we also got an inversion table. I really think that has helped the most, BUT the orthopedic surgeon says that all this stuff, epidurals, inversion tables and spinal decompression are just "bandages". They don't cure you, just make it feel better for a while.

I hope that you find something that will give you relief. I don't have the pain, but live with someone who does and can understand how you will do anything to make it better.

You can try an inversion table from teeter hang ups for 30 days for $14.95. If you decide to keep it, it is $285. You might be able to get one cheaper, but that is what we did.

Good luck with whatever you do and I hope you find some relief.

Vickie Larkin

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My suggestion? See an orthopedic surgeon or a neurologist. With an MD after their name.

6. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Welcome to the world of "Back Problems" had them for 35 years and all I can tell you for sure is it NEVER totally heals.

There are many things you can do to feel better, but there is nothing you can do to completely HEAL your back. Degeneration is a one way street.

Never deal with people who want upfront money, for all of the above reasons. this is good advice for virtually every thing, not just this case.

Never deal with outfits that won't take health insurance, or anyone who wants an unrealistic amount of money for treatment not covered by insurance, And never get involved with anyone who won't tell you exactly what they are going to do before you pay, and offer some kind of a money back guarantee if nothing good happens.

Decompression theropy is nothing more than taking the vertical strain off your spine for a period of time. It can be done by inverting the body, or stretching the body.

In order for it to be effective on anyone above the age of 30 it must be done daily, and preferrably in both the morning and evening.

For $100 you can buy a used Inversion Table,(Craigs list or etc.) and do it for yourself, and believe me you will get better results than paying someone $XXXxx amount of money, for a few treatments which essentially do the same thing.

Just make sure you have someone there when you are settting up the balance on the table. Being trapped upside down, especially for older people, can just about make your head explode,,, at least it feels that way.

Once it is set up right you can go up and down easily and don't need a spotter.

Good Luck and we feel your pain,,,,, everyday!

Randy

7. EE

EE Banned User Banned

up front money = run like hell.

8. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

does anyone know the weight limit on the teeter hang up? I could go look it up myself but I am feeling lazy today. Thanks.

J.F.

9. Vickie

Vickie Member

Jack, not to use if you are 6'6" or 300 pounds.

10. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Oh good, I am 6'1 260 so I guess I am safe for now, will drop 30-40 lbs over the spring and summer motnhs. Thanks.

J.F.

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Getting in and out of bed and a car aggravated my back problem. I slept for over a year on a Lafuma chair, used a butt trivet in the car and lost 50 pounds. It all helped but I have to be careful about straining or twisting.

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

In 1984 I had 2 discs removed but there is always a back problem . The whole family have had similar back problems but my one brother is into mild Karate and yoga which has saved him from much pain although he too has had a back and neck surgury . I pop my back on the kitchen counter by letting the weight pull the lower discs untill they pop and then lay down . At the range if I remember , I ask 2 or 3 reliable members to raise me up under the arm pits gently until the upper discs pop . I sometimes hang from a tree branch with holding up high with both hands . I leard that on a hike with my grand son and I couldn`t go any further unless I did that . Saved the First Aid squad from coming through the woods a 1/2 mile to get me but the biggest problem is that he was 5 years old and there was no way he could have found his way out . I may still have been laying there if I didn`t do what I had too . My son had the teeterer and he sold it on Craigs list , didn`t like the feeling in his head of hanging upside down and neither did I when I went to Dick`s for a trial on one they had there . Don`t think you could do what the guy selling the Teeter can do because he is in excellent shape. I could just imaging someone like myself or anyone with severe back problems making that video . Reminds me of when the inversion boots first came out and I bought those and made a bar in the basement . what a joke trying to get my feet up to hang when your back is killing you . First time that I fell and cracked my head of the concrete floor was the same day I packed those boots back to the company for a refund . There are a few more stories but you`ll have to wait for the book as Steve would say .

13. dospa

dospa TS Member

Vickie, I found a no-BS neurosurgean who examinde my mri and said he could help
    me.All the pre lab and surgery were done 42 days ago. I am walking without pain.
    Not released to shoot yet, need more time to gain strength but could do a short dance. NO PAIN PILLS.Come back for SOGA or FLST ,I have his phone number.

Tom Mc

14. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I had three herniated discs last fall. My neurosurgeon said physical therapy was my best alternative at the time. I had severe sciatica and had to sleep with various supports in order to be pain free. My PT has a decompression therapy program using a device that he helped design. I got immediate relief the first visit while in the device but it took a couple on months of three a week treatments to solve the problem. Right now I am pain and symptom free. My treatments were completely covered by my private insurance, medicare and tricare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.