1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on ATV Choices

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm contemplating buying an ATV. I want one for putzing around the desert. Doesn't have to go fast or jump high. What should I buy. I'm in the Phoenix area.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get a side by side whatever you go with. They drive like a car but are fun like a 4 wheeler. The best part is you have a full roll cage and room to take a passenger. I like the RZR by Polaris myself but there are others equally as nice. You can use it at the Grand and other shoots to put around on too.
    [​IMG]

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Anything Yamaha will be your best bet. They are the gold standard by which all others are measured. They are manufactured here in the US in a state of the art plant.

ss

4. Barry C. Roach

What do you know about the Kawasaki Bayou 250?

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I too would like to hear more! In May we rented two different units while on vacation....one was the tradational ATV and the other was a two seater with a bed on the back (Polaris Ranger I believe it was). I have always wanted an ATV but I feel like the utility vehicles are so much more useful with the bed. I guess if I did not hunt at all it probably would not matter much. I can see where the two side by side seaters are much better for just "playing around" with the spouse. The Razor looks real fun, but no area for guns, gear or harvested game. So, I have pretty well talked myself out of a traditional ATV, somebody tell me if I am thinking wrong. I am well past the need or want for high speed, jumping hills, and extreme surfaces....but I do need 4 wheel drive for the mud and snow associated with hunting.

6. Robb

Robb Member

Kubota RTV. Everything else are just souped up golf carts.

7. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I too will have to cast my vote on Yamaha. I've had my 660 Grizzly now for 7 years and it still starts right up with the first push of the switch. My cousin has went through 3 Polaris ATVs to my one Yamaha. But if you are wanting a side by side you might take a look at either a bobcat or john deere they are a little pricey but well worth the money.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Any of the standard name ATV's are good (Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris). They all have a little different comfort, head clearance, etc. Go to a big dealer and test drive them. Some steer hard under slow speed. If you are not pushing snow or hauling a lot, a 500 is more than enough.
    I have a 2004 Polaris Ranger, and have no problems with it. I beat the hell out of it on my farm.

The Kubota is a monster, but they are expensive.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You may want to consider 4wd if your gonna be out in the desert tooling around. It beats getting off and pushing. Setterman has it right otherwise.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The Kawasaki Bayou 250 is a descent enough machine, but don't expect a lot out of it. It has been made for eons basically unchanged (known as the Bayou 220 for a lot of years, but Kawasaki started calling it a 250 to make it sound bigger). If you are a smaller person it will do just fine for putting around, but don't expect it to be comfortable for more than about an hour. The seat foam is very soft and will collaps quickly.

If you are more than a couple of hundred pounds, buy a 350cc class machine. The little extra $$ is more than worth it, both now and later on when you decide to sell it. Also buy something with a fully automatic transmission. The auto clutch models are hard to sell when you tire of it.

ss

11. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Have a 2005 Polaris Ranger UTV. Live on a mountain and take it down the steep bluff all the time to dump tree limbs, etc. Has plenty of room to carry all kinds of gear (a lot more than any regular ATV even if is pulling a trailer). No trouble in 6 years of operation.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

ATV's are too dangerous in my opinion.

I have a Polaris Ranger 800XP. It has full roll cage, it can carry 1000 pounds, and has a useful dump bed for carrying supplies (water, fuel, tools etc) when off roading or to get work done. I use it at shoots as a "shuttle craft". It will ride two people and their guns comfortably and can carry three people with the gun rack out.

The only downside is that it was designed by idiots. Doing oil and fluid changes is a PITA. But it runs great, and is comfortable.

Don Verna

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I am also contemplating buying an ATV. I am really considering a John Deere XUV 625i. However, if I go that route I am thinking I should get the bigger 825i engine. I am also considering the Polaris Ranger. A person just needs to do their "homework", ask others who own these type of vehicles and then make the choice that suits their needs.

14. Robb

Robb Member

A couple years ago when I was shopping the Kubota cost $600 more than a JD Gator equipped the same. Well worth it to me. Direct drive vs. belt drive for one thing.

15. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

The owner of the local ATV repair shop told me years ago that the best ATV was the Yamaha. He said that he almost never gets any back for repairs. But his shop is always full of Polaris and Hondas.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Argo 8 wheel drive if you want to go anyplace (mud, water, snow, sand, etc.) You can get one with a roll cage, outboard motor, jet drive, snow tracks, full enclosure, and heater.

17. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Barry,

I was Hot for a sxs and decided I didn't want to trailer it all over to use it. My wife bought be a CJ5 (older AMC era). It has a towbar on it and I hook up, drive to the gun club and use it on the Sporting clay course. I also fish alot and do the same. Hook it on the back of my truck and tow to the "trailhead" and then use the jeep. It was a good decision... Not to mention you will spend a hell of a lot less money.

RW

18. bsekf

bsekf Member

I think the Kawasaki Mule is the gold standard for work machines. Old design that is almost bullet proof. Steel box, rather than plastic. We have the big 4 passanger 4X4 Trans and could not be happier. Our son just bought the 610 sport model 4X4, air cooled rather than liquid, he is very happy. By limiting the topp speed to 25 mph, it can be called a piece of farm equipment, just add a "slow moving sign" and you solve some licensing problems. Stay with a 4 wheeler if you need speed.

Bill

19. Barry C. Roach

Thanks folks. I'm going to the dealerships today to sort things out.

20. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We have two John Deere Gators, XUV's with the diesel engines haven't had any problems out of either one, mine has about 600 hrs, and is getting to the point I need a new set of tires on it but they get driven a bunch every day

But they are a PITA to change oil but it isn't all that bad, if some moron doesn't smoke the filter tighter that Dick's hat band

I swore i would never pay that much for one but after I bought the first one I had to get one for my wife, handy as hell

I looked at the Kubota's, my friend has one, he's had quite a bit of trouble with the hydrostatic drive, but he isn't all that bright sometimes, but I don't like the way they come to a pretty abrupt stop when you throttle down, I'd rather use the brakes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.