1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on a new young trap shooters gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 97Fxds, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 97Fxds

97Fxds TS Member

Ok I have read up on other posts and I am sure this gets asked every few weeks or so but, my son, daughter and I started trap shooting last fall. She joined NSCA and ATA but my son and I are just moonlighting on the fringes. He is a runt 8yr old and loves his H&R 410 and hits birds at the 16 to 25 at about 20%. This is all with no rib, no adj comb and a cut down stock. Now he has an H&R 20g Youth, but those non-ergo H&Rs can really pack a punch. He shoots it but prefers his 410. In the search to get him a better gun, I tried one of the new Weatherby SA-08 20g Youth and he liks it but the stock is also to long. We measured and think that 12"lop would be perfect right now. So here is my question, do I send out $100 HR 12g and have the cones cut out, ported, ribbed and recoil system installed and have the most tricked out POS on the block, or has something already been done thats available. I thought of a Rem Spartan as the donor gun, since it is already ribbed. I think we would prefer to use a non semi, he really loves his break-opens. Or should I just say the heck with it and let him roll with stock H&Rs and 20g & 410s till he gets big enough to use a real 12g. I just didnt want him to learn bad habits with a NON trap style of gun and caliber. Also I am reloading 410,20 and 12s and can adj to really soft loads. Anyhow let me know!

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Beretta 3901s, the youth models? If I couldn't make one of those work, I'd opt for a Beretta 303-2 and have the stock cut for length for him.

If he continues shooting those hard kicking guns, he may drift away from liking that kind of hurt type fun!! That's the last thing you'd want him to experience! If at all possible, find a 12 small enough that he can handle with a stock shortened for his size. I've seen some really small kids shooting semi-autos that were scaled down to fit and breaking good scores too! Good luck to you and your son, and daughter too!

Hap

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

If he must have a break open gun, look for a BT-99 micro. I have a 65lb, 9 year old shooting a Mossberg Bantam 12 gauge. I load 7/8 ounce of #8's over 14.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo, a Downrange XXL pink wad, in a gun club hull with a Rio primer. He says it feels like his 22.

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

Most 8 year olds are not ready for shooting trap. Let the kid grow a little and quit pushing them to do what you want.

5. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-target-rl-12/26/

Beretta 3901 Target RL...one of the best youth guns out there...

adjustable comb
    Length of Pull adjustment of almost 2"
    light
    target barrel
    easy to re-sell

My step-son shot this for a while (5-1 85 lbs)...my wife still shoots it (5-2 115 lbs)...great gun for the money...

6. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

Agree on the Beretta 3901, this gun can grow with him as it is adjustable.

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

We have a boy on our A.I.M. team that shoots 7/8 oz loads out of a BT-99 Plus. If he weighs 75 pounds soaking wet, I'd be surprised. I did not know he was only shooting 7/8 oz until two weeks ago when I talked to his father about reloading. The way he breaks targets with that load you would swear he was shooting an ounce and an eighth. Long story short... Little kids can shoot a big 12 ga if mom or dad do their part at the loading bench and have a stock made for someone with their smaller frame. You won't lose a dime on the stock because some other kid will need it in a few years.

JK

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Oletymer might have the correct read on this, something to consider anyway.

When the time comes however, the BT99 Micro is a great choice for the young shooters especially when you you make lite 7/8 or 1 Oz loads to go with it.

Another great choice is the Remington 1100 LT20 with a aftermarket youth stock. The 20 gauge is not something that will work long term as a serious trap gun but when the boy does make the transition to a real 12 gauge trap gun the LT20 will still be usefull as a field gun. Or you can sell it for about what you paid as these guns hold their value well.

I would get the kid away from those H&R guns as quickly as possible for a variety of reasons one of which is recoil. Spend a few bucks on quality equipment it will be a good investment for you.

9. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I started my Grandson out on a Stephens 20 gauge single. weighted stock and forearm. Make sure stock length is good for him. Load up some 7/8 oz. light loads for him. You don't need a fancy gun to get started on. This 20 had full choke plain barrel stock cut to fit and a good slip on recoil pad. May have to use black tape for smooth fit. He is shooting a SX-1 now and I am shooting the 20. And I will til I run 25 straight with it.. Nothing wrong with a 20. Glad he likes shooting we need more young kids doing it. Ken U

10. k810329

k810329 Member

bought my son the weatherby youth sa-08 in .20ga. he is doing real well with it.only down fall is the composite stock.my wife has been on me to see if we can find an aftermarket wood stock and forgrip so that we can get it fitted for him

11. 97Fxds

97Fxds TS Member

Thanks for the tips, just to add a touch... I am the fat bastard that wouldnt mind sleeping in, he is the one dragging to me to the range for 9 hours last sat Oletymer =P I did buy him the SA08 and at work we cut 1 1/4" off the end, reshaped the pad, shaved the stock mounting bolt and took it to a local smith to replace the bead and add a second center bead. I am done with the HRs and am looking at a micro BT in the near future. As for money, if someone made something right out of the box then it would already be bought. Everything is so damn custom in this game =D.

12. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Best thing I did for my son is buy him a Beretta 3901 RL Target model. Adj. comb and can get either a 26 or 28 in. barrel. He loves shooting it because there is no recoil. He said, "Dad, this 12 ga. kicks less than my 20 ga."

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Find a BT-99 Micro Plus-best of all worlds!!

14. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I must disagree with Olliedog on his suggestion. If your son is a "runt 8yo" he will not be able to handle a BT Micro Plus for at least 2 or 3 years. They are great guns but they are too heavy for most 8 year old kids. If he really is small I would not push him very much, you may scare him away. My son started shooting BT Micro Plus at age 11 . He was small but very strong for his size.

His first gun for trap was an old BT 99 with 2 barrels, which I still have. I had one of the 32 inch barrels cut off to 29 5/8 by Briley, back bored, ported, forcing cones, Extended choke tubes. I also put a small stock on the gun. I spent almost $900.00 on the barrel modifications. Also had it re-beaded. It is a great starter gun and is much lighter than BT 99 Micro Plus. However, it would be a pretty big gun for an 8yo.

Best gun for my boy to mess around with was a 28 gauge Franchi auto. I had a stock made for him to shoot. It was low on recoil and would break targets.

The smartest thing I ever did with teaching my son to shoot was to get one of the Walmart plastic guns to teach him how to mount and move the gun. Weighing about 12 oz doesn't tire the kids out like holding a shotgun.

15. ptiger

ptiger TS Member

My 11 year old daughter has been shooting a Beretta 3901 Target RL since she was 8. Bought it with a 28" barrel, but switched to a 26" and added a pad adjuster for fit for her. Recoil is minimal. She has no problems handling the gun and enjoys shooting. It's a great, durable gun for youth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.