1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need advice on a BT99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cuspid2, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuspid2

cuspid2 TS Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I'm a newbie 8 months shooting a Remington 1100 trap averaging 20 breaks each round I recently bought a BT 99 micro had it custom fitted with a gracoil recoil pad Upon patterning the gun it patterned about 80/20 I shot it once and scored only 9 the worst score I ever had I realize I most probably shot high Is there any way to lower the pattern without bending the barrel or must I relearn to shoot low I barely have shooting the 1100 directly at the bird down I do want to shoot a break opon trap gun. Would putting a raised comb help or accentuate the pattern even higher?

Miles Kletter
  2. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Been there...done that.

I've had them both and quite a few others and I still have an 1100. However, like you, I prefer to use a single barrel break open, especially for shooting
    handicap games at the club. But I will tell you that there may be more involved than the POI. While the BT99 is a popular alternative that will serve you well, you may miss that old 1100 for quite some time.

An 80/20 POI is really high, especially for a new shooter and it may take some time for you to acclimate, but whomever installed the adjustable pad for you should be able to adjust the POI to maybe 60/40 without any further expense. I'm guessing, but you're probably shooting from 16 yards back. If you're shooting the BT99 with a FULL choke and heavy 7 1/2 loads, you've got a combination that will break targets with authority from 27 yards back and beyond. You're going to need to put a lot of shells through the BT99 before you master it. I suggest maybe trying a MOD choke and maybe a light 8 load which will reduce the recoil and still provide plenty of hitting power for you from the 16 yard line.

There's a lot of variables to consider, but nothing takes the place of practise. It's foolish to think that anyone can take a gun out of the box and
    run 25 straight on the first round. Remember...you CAN'T buy what you are trying to accomplish...you have to work at developing your skill.

Don't get discouraged. You've got a lot of gun there and you need to learn how to shoot it. Focus more on fundamentals and consider lessons or even a couple of the video training presentations that are available on DVD and remember...

it's not the WAND...it's the MAGICIAN

Smok'n Joe
  3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Have to disagree with Sarge...... I bought a BT-99 and the first time out with it I broke 25. I then bought another one with more bells and whistles and broke 24/25 with it after shooting 100 shells through it. I have to say I lent it to my buddy and the first time he shot it he got 10/20 with it and gave up. However, he also bought a 32" Browning XS and he thought it was the solution to breaking birds because he got a 22 with it. Well last night I whitnesses him shot a 12/25 with the same gun. Put 1000 rounds throught the BT and then decide. you will find that the high shooting is really nice. Don't give up on the BT, thousands of people shoot them with major sucess. the key is to make sure it fits you. If you don't have a adj comb, get one they really help.
  4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    I bought my wife a new bt micro last week, she and my daughter both shatter the clays with it, I grabbed it and cant hit the side of the barn..??lol..
  5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998

Compare the POI of your 1100 with the POI of the BT99. If they are not the same, then you have found the problem. You can lower the POI of the BT99 by raising the height of the front sight.

The easiest way to do that is to make a small rib out of balsa wood and paint it black. Then glue it to the existing rib at the muzzle end of the barrel. You can use a pin with a small bead on the end for a front sight.

If this solves the problem you can then have an add on rib made to correct the POI. HMB
  6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    small steps...

Before you added the Gracoil, did you shoot the gun? Are you down on the stock? A new model BT doesn't typically pattern that high out of the box... it is perhaps one of the most forgiving massed produced guns out there.

Go to the Patterning Board and analyze where this gun is shooting for You, before you get yourself all messed up... take small steps, one small adjustment at a time... and try to make sure you're repeating the same pre-shot routine.

regards and good luck,

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Dec 15, 2009
    My dad shot a 1970 Bt that shoots a mile high. I was forced to shoot it after my gun broke. I am a 95% singles shooter. I broke 13 first time out with it. After 750 rounds I was breaking 18 - 20. A vet at the club saw me struggling and told me to lower my hold point. Shot 3 rounds and broke 73. Got my gun back the next day and haven't shot the old girl since, but at least now I know how to!
  8. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I would say it doesn't fit you... Try to sell it and buy a bt99 not a micro ... micros are about 2 pounds heavier up front or balance it with weight in the back and keep trying with it.
  9. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Bt99s are notorious for being flat shooting shotguns.patience,and patterning are the key, plus a good adjustable comb is a must for most Bt99 shooters.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.