1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice - K32 Unsingle issue - Pics added

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bucko43, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I purchased a K80 34" unsingle barrel and it fit my K32 receiver like a glove. So I took it out to the range and shot about 4 rounds of 25 targets through it. Made a few adjustments because I was missing targets all over the place and couldn't find the sweet spot. I couldn't tell if it shoots high or low. So I decided to buy a laser bore sighter and find out where the barrel is shooting. Wow, what an eye opener that was.

I found out the barrel will shoot WAY low. Low enough that I would need to see the target under the barrel in order to hit it. And I can't adjust it to shoot any higher than the barrel hanger currently allows. It is maxed out as far up as it will go. Any suggestions what to do? Is there an unsingle barrel hanger that I can buy that will allow more adjustment?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

What type of bore sighter did you use? The shell type won't work in a Krieghoff, because when you make adjustments the rib does not move but rather the barrel "bends" therefore something as small as a laser beam will appear to stay in the same place. I would pattern the gun to see where it is really shooting.

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Piece of card board @ 13 yards, Winston Patterning Process. It works. Scott

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

When people change to an unsingle from shooting off the barrel for years

They cant tell where they are shooting

It takes about 5000 shells to adapt if you can wait that long

The only way to tell where a shotgun is shooting is to pattern it and the method described above with give you a POA

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Bucko43

Guys, I put a barrel in the gun that shoots dead flat (my O/U barrel). I made a wall chart with a 5" diameter circle. I then made a cross hair splitting the circle so I could find the center of the circle. I aimed the flat barrel bead right in the middle of the crosshairs on the chart and the laser was in the same spot. I then did the same with the unsingle and it was 2 1/2 inches lower than the flat barrel with the beads lined up with the cross hairs. I realize I need to pattern it, I just wanted to know how far off up or down it was. I wasn't expecting it to be that far off.

6. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

You stated the adjustment is all the way up as far as it will go, To make it shoot higher you lower the rib, Ronnie

7. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Gene, in all due respect, I think what you are saying pertains to two eyed shooters, as a one eyed shooter, I see no difference in a top single or un-single and it was no time at all my scores were the same or better with an un-single. A obe eyed shooter doesn't even see the barrel. I am not being a smart a$$ just guessing you are a two eyed shooter?

Buck, can you lower the rib at all? Like a Perazzi? Scott

8. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

Kevin, I agree with Scott. You have to lower the Rib to get it to shoot higher. Also you have to raise the stock to match.

Rick

9. Bucko43

I raised the barrel as high as it will go. That means I turned the thumb screw the direction that says "up". The barrel and the rib are nearly touching, so it can't go any higher.

The rib is fixed, so I can't lower the rib. I wish I could...any other ideas?

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

hmmm good point- a one eyed shooter that is used to shooting off the barrel doesnt now look a couple of inches over the barrel because of the rib ?

Gene

11. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

is it tubed?

12. Bucko43

No tubes. Here's a couple of lousy pictures taken by the guy that I bought it from. By the way guys, I shoot with both eyes open. I've owned unsingles before and never had an issue like this come up. Been shooting competition trap since 2006 and have a 97 average from the 16. I regulary shoot a KX-5 with an adjustable rib, so I know which direction up and down is. I normally shoot the KX-5 around 80% high.

Thanks,

Kevin

bucko43_2008_0108123.jpg

bucko43_2008_0108124.jpg

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This is a secret I'm not supposed to tell. If you can read a barrel you should be able to see the barrel shoots low. Look through the barrel at a white wall. Get the first visible rings concentric and see where the end of the barrel is in relationship to the first several rings. You may want to start this little excercise by starting the rib lines at max. high or low and with a clean barrel. Then turn the wheel in the opposite direction while keeping the initial rings (reflections) concentric. See, nothing to it.

You say the barrel continues to shoot much too low with the setting at it's highest. I believe your thinking may be incorrect and you fail to realize a K-80 barrel actually bends while the rib remains stationary. K-80 ribs will usually flex somewhat past 2 lines above zero reducing the actual amount of barrel adjustment significantly.

If you are really correct and the barrel shoots too low send it to Krieghoff for an adjustment. It's not the first on with this issue as barrel straightness is not an exact science. Nothing to it as they have the ability to flex the barrel in an upward position giving more vertical adjustability!!

14. Bucko43

Ollie,

In my 4 rounds I shot, I made 4 adjustments to the barrel. I started with it at the far end of the graduation marks. Each time increasing the elevation of the barrel just like I do on my KX-5. I was still shooting under the targets with it all the way to the top. I'll take it to a pattern board next week and see if it is indeed low.

Thanks,

Kevin

15. oleolliedawg

Each line is around 7" of vertical adjustment. Keep that in mind. Also remember that a K-80 barrel impact adjustment is OPPOSITE the KS-5. The closer the barrel is to the rib the higher the impact!!

16. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Ollie, I thought each line is 4" of vertical adjustment?

17. oleolliedawg

Nope, barrel hangers on the O/U's around 3". We always used the 7" figure back in the 80's at Krieghoff but if that suddenly changed I'm not aware. You could be righter as I'm no longer spending much time on the patterning board. Anyway, the concept is what matters!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.