1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice - How To Clean Engraving

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bucko43, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I have a K-32 receiver that looks dingy in the engraving. How do I best clean this without damaging the receiver and the engraving?
    [​IMG]

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bon Ami and a toothbrush.

HM

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Toothpaste works also.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Nothing abrasive dont listen to any of the metal cleaner recomendations. To best do this first try paint thinner(mineral Spirits and a hard plastic brisle brush. If that does not work go stronger to laquer thinner acetone or MEK.

Or you could sell the receiver to me!

Looks great
    Joe

5. Bucko43

Thanks Joe, but it's my new (new to me) model 32 I just bought. Won't be selling it yet, as I haven't even shot it yet...

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you use laquer thinner, or acetone make sure you remove the stock first. I would remove it regardless. Jon

7. BD457

BD457 Member

Simple Green and a toothbrush.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Maybe a helpful mechanic friend of yours could dip the action in mineral spirits while the shop's ultrasound cleaning machine did its thing? Don't put in carb cleaner!!!

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I recently cleaned an Ithaca century trap. Lots of little nooks and crannys on it. I found a can of Permatex gasket remover in the garage and thought about trying it. I took it upatairs to my gun room and applied a little on a small area and let it set for about 2 minutes then brushed with a toothbrush. About a half hour later the gun was looking like new. No damage. I did take the stock off just to make sure I didn't do any harm to the wood. Mike.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ultrasonic cleaners are getting pretty inexpensive- the larger lyman will hold a receiver- I would consider that

The toothbrush ideas regardless of what you as a cleaner are about as hard as you want to go

I would advise that after you get it cleaned on the outside that you go ahead and spray the entire receiver inside and out with brake cleaner

After a treatment of that- that you then take a can of Rem Oil and spray the insided completely and the outside--- let it drip dry (best to spray it hanging on a coat hanger-- and then blot off the excess oil

Many people that charge you for cleaning a gun use exactly that method

Now Barrel Bulgers idea is interesting- on a gun that has a lot of gunk on it - accumulated from over the years- because part of that gunk is going to be dried older generation oil probably--- again I would then spray with brake cleaner and then after dry use Rem Oil

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Bucko43

I've already tried placing it in mineral spirits for about an hour and brushing it with a bristle brush. The results are what you see in the photo. I'll try the brake cleaner and a tooth brush next and let you guys know how it came out.

Thanks,

Kevin

12. g7777777

Wait- it is silver in color? If so has either been plated with nickled or chromed or nitrided

you can tarnish the nickle or chrome

Background is supposed to be darker

It looks good in the picture- I wouldnt mess with it

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Personally I find Never-Dull to be a terrific and completely non-abrasive way to clean metal.

However, I rather agree with Gene, many engraving jobs on a plated receiver actually have the background darkened (inked in some cases) to bring out the contrast between the stippled background the the scroll/game scenes. The picture you showed doesn't look bad to me....the darker background just highlights the game scenes.

But...Never-Dull (see line above) will work wonders and not hurt the metal or finish at all.

14. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Be sure to test solvent type liquids (brake or carb cleaners, acetone, laquer thinner, etc) on your tooth brush prior to applying to gun. Many toothbrush bristles will start to disolve making a sticky mess. Marc

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you use the Never Dull make sure you wear gloves because it turns black as you use it and you'll play hell getting the black off of your hands ... I use it on lots of metal and it cleans as well as polishes it up nice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Flitz is the best metal cleaner Denny

17. Bucko43

Well guys I spent 2 1/2 hours trying different applications on this including brake fluid, oxy clean, TSP, bore stripper and gun cleaner. The only thing that actually removed any of the dullness is the TSP. I mixed up a small amount and let it sit on the receiver for about 5 minutes and then scrubbed with a toothbrush. I thoroughly cleaned it with gun cleaner when I finished cleaning and soaked it well with Rem Oil.

It's not perfect, but it looks allot better and the definition shows up better now. Thanks for the advice.

Kevin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Looks great!

Real TSP? Here in two of the wonderful Red states (NY and NJ), the only TSP I can find is "Phosphate Free." Imagine that, phosphate free tri-sodium phosphate. Might as well be blue water.

We also need to show a photo ID to buy spray paint ... but not to vote.

--
    Bob Easton

19. Bucko43

The TSP I have is probably 20 years old and is probably illegal here in Commiefornia. But it worked pretty good. I completely wore out the toothbrush. The EPA will probably come after me if I throw it out in the trash...anybody know how to get finger prints off a toothbrush?

20. g7777777

Looks nice

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleaning engraving with toothpaste on gun