1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice for Youth !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cardude, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cardude

Cardude TS Member

My son will soon be 9 years old and ejoys shooting with me at the local turkey matches but is now wanting to shoot with the aim program was wondering what info you could provide as far a gun choice ,loads.etc. He shoots a 20guage cz auto now with scores off of the 16 yard line of around low teens average but would like to help him get setup in the right way ! Thanks a lot

2. Higbee

Higbee TS Member

I have a 10 year old boy who was shooting a 20 guage when he ws 8. At 9 I moved him up to a 12 guage Rem 1100 Mod Choke. His average is 18 out of 25. He shoots 1oz load 18.5 tite-wad,claybuster,nitro hulls.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

let him shoot and have fun, maybe a gun fitting session with the gun he has now.

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

beretta 3901 target rl- 28" - has 3 stock lengthening adjustments, very very low recoil- buy 7/8 oz training loads, which it will cycle. this gun is as lite weight as a 20ga. with same recoil. oh yes , has adjustable comb also!
    best shooting starter gun - period-

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

ACSS

Hit the nail on the head. AIM allows reloads, SCTP does not.

6. Idlechater

Idlechater Member

Have to agree with ACSS... When my son was 9 they didn't have the Beretta 3901.. I bought a 390 with a 26" barrel and cut the stock down to fit him... I then loaded 16.9 grains Clays, 7/8 ounce #8's and a pink Claybuster wad... Son loved it... Now we all shoot the 7/8 ounce loads... I have patterned it and found that the Improved Modified choke patterns the best in both the Beretta and Browning Plus...

I wish you well...

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i forgot one thing-- i have helped start many youth and recommended guns - the average threshold of pain- when buying a youth gun ( for most parents) is $350
    i cant argue the economics even in good times. but buying a "good" gun with adjustments and proper fit will payoff in the long run!!the gun i recommended is over $800-- grin and bear it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    happy shooting

8. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Just to clear things up...... from the 2009 SCTP Handbook.

E. ALLOWABLE EQUIPMENT – SHOTGUN AND SHOTSHELLS

2. Shot Shells – Reloads are ALLOWED for practices and competitions, provided they comply with the discipline’s NGB rule for payload weight and in some cases, instrumental velocity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.