1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice for youth!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cardude, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cardude

Cardude TS Member

Hello im needing some help!
    I have a son that has just turned 8 years old which I take along with me at our local practice night and he likes to shoot! He can run 9-12 out of 25 most of the time ! He shoots a 870 youth 20 guage with a 21 inch barrel! My question is that This little gun kicks and slaps him very hard and Im afraid that if it continues he will get some bad habits which will be hard to breack ! Any help or advice on guns or loads will be helpful !
    Thanks

2. elmo

elmo Member

A friend that shoots at our club had the same problem with his 8 year old son. Boy loves to shoot but the 20 gauge pump was kicking the snot out of him. I took his remington 1100 and put a short stock on it for his son. This stock has been used on many guns over the years for 4-h kids in the youth program. I loaded some real lite 1oz loads for it and the boy just loves it. In my experience over the years helping coach the 4-h kids the 20 gauges just kick to much. A lite 12 gauge load will not have near the recoil of a 20.

3. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

I agree with Clayman...load some light (1150 fps) 7/8 ounce loads in a 12 gauge-he will break more targets with less recoil. Be careful not to load the 1350-1400 fps 7/8 ounce stuff because you will be right back to the recoil problem. Have fun, Roger

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

If you continue using the 870 for your son, check to see if the pitch on the stock is correct for him. If it is inadequate (the lower toe of the pad stocks out too far), the butt will not be mounted securely on his shoulder and the barrel-rise during recoil will be excessive. This is a common cause for the cheek slap you mention.

Rollin

5. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I started with an H&R topper model 88 12ga,at the age of 12,and shot it for 2 years,maybe try that a bit then change back after a few thousand rounds !

6. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

We got along real well with the Beretta 3901 youth trap. It has removable sections in the stock, and is a cut down version of the 391. Adjustable comb, chokes, my 13 year old has outgrown it, but it is now ready for my 11 year old. Better weight balance than the 1100 with a short stock, and very light recoil. I think about $895 new?
    Joe Nester

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.